Introduction: The Paradoxical Election
The Italian general election of 4 March 2018 was highly paradoxical in that it changed little or nothing while at the same time changing everything. On the one hand, though vote switches and changes in the distribution of the vote were at record levels, this, unlike the past, was not because of the emergence of new political protagonists. On the other hand, the election brought to power a coalition consisting of two outsider, populist, parties, the League and the Five-star Movement, with echoes and profound implications extending well beyond Italy’s borders. This chapter introduces the story of this remarkable event by providing the basic background information required to make sense of the material in the following chapters, covering, first, the line-ups among which voters were required to choose and then the institutional framework within which the election took place. From there we present the most salient features of the election outcome, the election context and the election campaign.
- Bobba, Giuliano, and Antonella Seddone. 2018. La campagna elettorale 2018 tra populismo e polarizzazione. In Il vicolo cieco: Le elezioni del 4 marzo 2018, ed. Marco Valbruzzi and Rinaldo Vignati, 19–38. Bologna: il Mulino.Google Scholar
- Bordignon, Fabio, and Luigi Ceccarini. 2018. Dis-continuità elettorale, Dis-ordine di sistema. In Le Divergenze Parallele. L’Italia dal voto devoto al voto liquido, ed. Fabio Bordignon, Luigi Ceccarini, and Ilvo Diamanti, 3–33. Rome and Bari: Laterza.Google Scholar
- Ceccarini, Luigi. 2018. Tra (in)decisione di voto e discussione pre-elettorale. In Le Divergenze Parallele. L’Italia dal voto devoto al voto liquido, ed. Fabio Bordignon, Luigi Ceccarini, and Ilvo Diamanti, 70–89. Rome and Bari: Laterza.Google Scholar
- Itanes (eds.). (2018). Vox populi. Il voto ad alta voce del 2018. Bologna: il Mulino.Google Scholar
- Kriesi, Hanspeter. 2008. Globalization and the Transformation of the National Political Space: Six European Countries Compared. European Journal of Political Research. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1475-6765.2006.00644.x.
- Manin, Bernard. 1992. La democrazia dei moderni. Milano: Anabasi.Google Scholar