The Nature of Software Evolution
This chapter considers the nature of software evolution: What kinds of software systems are evolved? Which quality aspects of software systems play a role throughout evolution? What kinds of software changes exist and which evolution processes are considered? What is the impact of these changes? The purpose of this chapter is to clarify the fundamental aspects of software evolution, which are being taken up again in the following chapters. Hence, this chapter shall explain the basic terminology used in this book. To a small extent, it shall also provide a domain analysis of the area of software evolution. And finally, for more details, further scenarios, and examples of the fundamental aspects of software evolution, the reader can find references to follow-up chapters. In this way, this chapter helps to identify how the contributions of subsequent chapters fit into the big picture of software evolution.
- [Avi+04]Algirdas Avizienis et al. “Basic Concepts and Taxonomy of Dependable and Secure Computing”. In:IEEE Trans. Dependable Secur. Comput.1.1 (Jan. 2004), pp. 11–33.issn: 1545–5971.url:http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2004.2.Google Scholar
- [Cha+01]Ned Chapin et al. “Types of Software Evolution and Software Maintenance”. In:Journal of Software Maintenance13.1 (Jan. 2001), pp. 3–30.issn: 1040-550X.url:http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=371697.371701.
- [HR06]Wilhelm Hasselbring and Ralf Reussner. “Toward Trustworthy Software Systems”. In:Computer39 (Apr. 2006), pp. 91–92.issn: 0018–9162.url:https://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MC.2006.142.
- [Leg+14]Christoph Legat et al. “Interface behavior modeling for automatic verification of industrial automation systems’ functional conformance”. In:at-Automatisierungstechnik 62.11 (2014), pp. 815–825.Google Scholar
- [LG99]Rudolf Lauber and Peter Göhner.Prozessautomatisierung 1-Automatisierungssysteme und–strukturen, Computer und Bussysteme für die Anlagen und Prozessautomatisierung, Echtzeitprogrammierung und Echtzeitbetriebssysteme, Zuverlässigkeitsund Sicherheitstechnik. 1999.Google Scholar
- [LS00]Bev Littlewood and Lorenzo Strigini. “Software Reliability and Dependability: A Roadmap”. In:Proceedings of the Conference on The Future of Software Engineering. ICSE ’00. Limerick, Ireland: ACM, 2000, pp. 175–188.isbn: 1-58113-253-0.url:http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/336512.336551.
- [LS80]Bennet P. Lientz and Burton E. Swanson. “Software Maintenance Management: A Study of the Maintenance of Computer Application Software in 487 Data Processing Organizations. Addison-Wesley, 1980, pp. 1–160.Google Scholar
- [RTV15]Susanne Rösch, Sabine Teufl, and Birgit Vogel-Heuser. “Model-based quality assurance in machine and plant automation using sequence diagrams—A comparison of two research approaches”. In:Industrial Informatics (INDIN), 2015 IEEE 13th International Conference on. IEEE. 2015, pp. 302–307.Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.