Economic and Institutional Foundations of Turkish Cypriot Governance and the ‘ITEM’ Law
This chapter offers the institutional and political developments of Turkish Cypriot governance in the light of clientelism and rentierism. Backgrounds on the key political parties—CTP, UBP, TKP and DP—are presented, and the general structure of the state is also discussed. The chapter addresses the abiding issue of the ‘resettlement’ of Turkish Cypriots which included the allocation of immovable property to refugees, under the ITEM law, of those who had left their homes in the south of the island in the 1974 period, as well as migrants who were subsequently brought from Turkey to settle in the north. The author details the relevant laws in this regard and introduces data on the issues.
- A Look at TFSC [KTFD’ne Bakis, a Report Prepared in Honour of Birthday of Ataturk Talking about Developments since 1975], May 1981, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- Atun, Hakkı. 2016. Hakkı Atun’un Anilari: Bir Oz Yasam Oykusu [Memoirs of Hakkı Atun: A Self-Life Story], Lefkoşa.Google Scholar
- Diler, Cenk. 2015. KKTC’nin Kurulusundan Hukumetlerin Vaatleri ve Hezimetleri 1983–2015 [Governments’ Promises and Fiascos since Establishment of TRNC], Soylem Yayinlari, Lefkoşa, ISBN:9789963298860.Google Scholar
- Dodd, C.H. 1993. The Political Social and Economic Development of Northern Cyprus. Huntingdon: The Eothen Press.Google Scholar
- Ekici, Tufan. 2016. An Overview of Civil Services in North Cyprus. PRIO Cyprus Working Paper, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- Feridun, Oktay. 2015. Zamani Tiye Aldim: hayatimdaki kibris ve bir hukukcunun seruveni [Cyprus in My Life and the Journey of a Lawyer], Galeri Kultur Yayinlari, Okman Printing, Nicosia, December.Google Scholar
- Gurel, Ayla. 2012. Displacement in Cyprus: Consequences of Civil and Military Strife, Report 4, Turkish Cypriot Legal Framework, PRIO Cyprus Center, ISBN:978-82-7288-423-8.Google Scholar
- Gurel, Ayla, and Kudret Özersay. 2006. The Politics of Property in Cyprus: Conflicting Appeals to ‘Bizonality’ and ‘Human Rights’ by the Two Cypriot Communities. PRIO Report 3/2006, ISBN:82-7288-232-9.Google Scholar
- Hatay, Mete. 2005. Beyond Numbers: An Inquiry into the Political Integration of the Turkish ‘Settlers’ in Northern Cyprus. PRIO Cyprus Report 4/2005, Nicosia, Cyprus.Google Scholar
- Kahveci, H. 2013. Cyprus. In The Palgrave Handbook of Social Democracy in the European Union, ed. J.M. De Waele, F. Escalona, and M. Vieira. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Morvaridi, B. 1993. Social Structure and Social Change. In The Political, Social, and Economic Development of Northern Cyprus, ed. C. Dodd. Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England: Eothen Press.Google Scholar
- Sonan, Sertac. 2014. In the Grip of Political Clientelism: The Post-1974 Turkish Cypriot Politics and the Politico-Economic Foundations of Pro-Taksim Consensus. PhD Dissertation, University of Duisburg-Essen.Google Scholar
- SPO. 1977. First Five Year Development Plan 1978–1982, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- ———. 2005. Macroeconomic Indicators, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- Strong, Paul Nicholas. 1999. The Economic Consequences of Ethno-National Conflict in Cyprus: The Development of Two Siege Economies after 1963 and 1974. PhD Dissertation, London School of Economics, July.Google Scholar
- TFSC Constituent Parliament Proceedings, Term I, Year 1, Session 84, 6 February 1976.Google Scholar
- TFSC, General Secretariat of Ministry of Interior and Settlement [KTFD Icisleri ve Iskan Bakanligi Mustesarligi], 1978 Activities Report, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- TFSC, Ministry of Health and Social Services [KTFD Saglik ve Sosyal isler Bakanligi], Activities Report 1979, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- TFSC, Ministry of Interior, Activities Report 1978, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- ———, Activities Report 1979, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- TRNC Parliament Proceedings [KKTC Meclis Tutanaklari], Term I, Year 1986/2, Session 23, 22 December 1986.Google Scholar
- ———, Term I, Year 1989/4, Session 33, 17 February 1989.Google Scholar
- ———, Session 41, 21 May 1993.Google Scholar
- ———, Term III, Year 1997/5, Session 7, 24 October 1997.Google Scholar
- Turkish Republic Aid Office. 2015. KKTC Ekonomi Durumu Raporu [TRNC Economic Outlook Report 2014], Embassy of Turkish Republic in Nicosia, Nicosia. http://www.kei.gov.tr/ekonomi-durum-raporu/.
- US Embassy Cable. 1974. Cyprus Economy: Analysis and Projections. WikiLeaks Cable: 1974NICOSI04480_b. Dated: 16 December 1974. https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1974NICOSI04480_b.html.
- ———. 1975. Turkish Cypriot Economy. WikiLeaks Cable: 1975NICOSI01642_b. Dated: 16 May 1975. https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1975NICOSI01642_b.html.
- ———. 2009. Turkey: Support for “TRNC” Carries High Price Tag. WikiLeaks Cable: 09ANKARA1781_a. Dated: 15 December 2009. https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09ANKARA1781_a.html.