Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching: The Case of the MENA
The focus of this volume is the study of innovation in English language teaching and learning environments in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The chapters draw on classroom, administrative and learning experiences from seven of the countries in the region. This chapter begins with the establishment of a definition of innovation in education and English language teaching. What follows is a description of the current status of English language education in the region and a look at next steps and innovations that are currently being implemented. A brief introduction to the other 12 chapters in this volume rounds out this chapter.
- Alexander, C. (2017). What innovation really means (And what it doesn’t). Retrieved from https://medium.com/the-mission/changing-the-way-we-think-about-innovation-6c6bb5eb4c0d.
- Alshahrani, K., & Ally, M. (2017). Transforming education in the Gulf region: Emerging learning technologies and innovative pedagogy for the 21st century. London and New York: Routledge and Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Brewer, D., & Tierney, W. (2012). Barriers to innovation in US education. In R. Wildavsky, A. Kelly, & K. Carey (Eds.), Reinventing higher education: The promise of innovation. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.Google Scholar
- Coombe, C., & Davidson, P. (2014). Common educational proficiency assessment. Test review in Language Testing, 31(2), 269–276.Google Scholar
- Coombe, C., Davidson, P., Gebril, A., Boraie, D., & Hidri, S. (2017). Language assessment in the Middle East and North Africa: Theory, practice and future trends. Dubai, UAE: TESOL Arabia Publications.Google Scholar
- Davidson, P., & Coombe, C. (2018). The impact of a special interest group on assessment literacy. In A. Elsheikh, C. Coombe, & O. Effiong (Eds.), The role of language teacher associations in professional development (pp. 110–120). Switzerland: Springer.Google Scholar
- Education in the Middle East and North Africa. (2014, January 27). Retrieved from http://www.worldbank.org/en/region/mena/brief/education-in-mena.
- Kern, N. (2013). Technology-integrated English for specific purposes lessons: Real-life language, tasks, and tools for professionals. In G. Motteram (Ed.), Innovation in learning technologies for English language teaching (pp. 87–107). London, UK: British Council.Google Scholar
- Minkara, H. (2013). English in our lives: A Lebanon perspective. In H. Mcllwraith (Ed.), Perspectives on English in the Middle East and North Africa: A research initiative. London, UK: British Council.Google Scholar
- Motteram, G. (2013). Innovation in learning technologies for English language teaching. London, UK: British Council.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, M. (2013). Innovation: The most important and overused word in America. Retrieved December 2, 2018, from https://www.wired.com/insights/2013/11/innovation-the-most-important-and-overused-word-in-america/.
- O’Sullivan, D., & Dooley, L. (2009). Applying innovation. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Paniagua, A. (2018, February 8). Innovation in everyday teaching: No more waiting for Superman. Retrieved from https://www.brookings.edu/blog/education-plus-development/2018/02/08/innovation-in-everyday-teaching-no-more-waiting-for-superman/.
- Raising the Standard of Education. (2018). Government.ae: The official portal of the UAE government. Retrieved from https://government.ae/en/about-the-uae/leaving-no-one-behind/4qualityeducation/raising-the-standard-of-education.
- Simpson, C. S. (2014). Innovation in English language teaching and learning: The Turkish perspective. Istanbul, Turkey: CrowdSource ELT.Google Scholar
- Slaouti, D., Onat-Stelma, Z., & Motteram, G. (2013). Technology and adult language teaching. In G. Motteram (Ed.), Innovation in learning technologies for English language teaching (pp. 67–86). London, UK: British Council.Google Scholar
- Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE). (2018). Ottawa, CA: STLHE. Retrieved from https://www.stlhe.ca/awards/d2l-innovation-award/innovation-in-teaching-and-learning/.