A SCADA-Based Method for Estimating the Energy Improvement from Wind Turbine Retrofitting
Retrofitting of operating wind turbines has been spreading in the recent years in the wind energy industry, at the aim of optimizing the efficiency of wind kinetic energy conversion. This kind of interventions has material and labor costs and it is therefore fundamental to estimate realistically the production improvement. Further, the retrofitting of wind turbines sited in harsh environments, as for example complex terrain, might exacerbate the stressing conditions and therefore affect the residue lifetime. This work deals with a case of retrofitting: the testing ground is a multi-megawatt wind turbine from a wind farm sited in a very complex terrain. The blades have been optimized by installing vortex generators and passive flow control devices. A general method is proposed for estimating production upgrades from wind turbine retrofitting, basing on multivariate linear modeling of the power output of the upgraded wind turbine. Applying the model to the test case of interest, it arises that the upgrade increases the annual energy production of the wind turbine of an amount of the order of the 2%.
- 2.Astolfi D, Castellani F, Terzi L (2018) A study of wind turbine wakes in complex terrain through RANS simulation and SCADA data. J Sol Energy Eng 140(3):031,001Google Scholar
- 3.Astolfi D, Castellani F, Terzi L (2018) Wind turbine power curve upgrades. Energies 11(5):1300Google Scholar
- 4.Bossanyi E, King J (2012) Improving wind farm output predictability by means of a soft cut-out strategy. In: European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition EWEA, vol 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Castellani F, Astolfi D, Mana M, Piccioni E, Becchetti M, Terzi L (2017) Investigation of terrain and wake effects on the performance of wind farms in complex terrain using numerical and experimental data. Wind Energy 20(7):1277–1289Google Scholar
- 11.Øye S (1995) The effect of vortex generators on the performance of the ELKRAFT 1000 kw turbine. In: 9th IEA symposium on aerodynamics of wind turbines. Stockholm. ISSN 0590–8809Google Scholar
- 13.Refaeilzadeh P, Tang L, Liu H (2009) Cross-validation. In: Encyclopedia of database systems. Springer, pp 532–538Google Scholar