Vortex Induced Vibrations of Rectangular Cylinders Arranged on a Grid
- 390 Downloads
A grid arrangement made of one hundred rectangular cylinders fixed to the facade of a house generates strong and disturbing mono-harmonic noise. The cross-flow vibration of the rectangular cylinders is identified as the origin of the noise. The present article proposes a complete investigation of the Vortex Induced Vibration (VIV) combined with a grid effect. It is based on in situ measurements, numerical (finite elements and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)) and extensive wind tunnel (WT) modelling. A comparison between unsteady pressure measurements and CFD results allows to understand the vortex shedding process and synchronization type depending on the wind incidence and spacing of the cylinders. On the basis of this multi- approach parametric investigation, a deep understanding of the VIV-grid phenomenon enables to propose two mitigation techniques. These techniques are tested and their effectiveness is reported in terms of vibration amplitude and acoustic intensity (Rigo et al. 2018).
KeywordsVortex Induced Vibration Unsteady Pressure Aerodynamics Computational Fluid Dynamics Bluff body Wind tunnel Finite element model
The authors would like to thank the company V2i for providing technical support and devices necessary to make all modal and in-situ measurements.
- Eurocode (1991) En 1991-1-4: Actions on structures-general actions-wind actions. European committee for standardizationGoogle Scholar
- Bergh H, Tijdeman H (1967) Theoretical and experimental results for the dynamic response of pressure measuring systemsGoogle Scholar
- Blevins R (1990) Flow induced vibrations. Krieger Publishing Co., FloridaGoogle Scholar
- Hansen S (2007) Vortex-induced vibration of structures. In: Structural engineers world congress, Bangalore, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Nakaguchi H, Muto S (1968) An experimental study on aerodynamic drag of rectangular cylinders. J Japan Aeronaut Space Sci 16:1–5Google Scholar
- Ong M (2013) Unsteady RANS simulation of flow around a 5:1 rectangular cylinder at high reynolds numbers, vol 5Google Scholar
- Techet A (2005) Vortex induced vibrations. MIT, BostonGoogle Scholar