Bi-objective Orienteering: Towards a Dynamic Multi-objective Evolutionary Algorithm
We tackle a bi-objective dynamic orienteering problem where customer requests arise as time passes by. The goal is to minimize the tour length traveled by a single delivery vehicle while simultaneously keeping the number of dismissed dynamic customers to a minimum. We propose a dynamic Evolutionary Multi-Objective Algorithm which is grounded on insights gained from a previous series of work on an a-posteriori version of the problem, where all request times are known in advance. In our experiments, we simulate different decision maker strategies and evaluate the development of the Pareto-front approximations on exemplary problem instances. It turns out, that despite severely reduced computational budget and no oracle-knowledge of request times the dynamic EMOA is capable of producing approximations which partially dominate the results of the a-posteriori EMOA and dynamic integer linear programming strategies.
KeywordsMulti-objective optimization Metaheuristics Vehicle routing Combinatorial optimization Dynamic optimization
J. Bossek, C. Grimme, S. Meisel and H. Trautmann acknowledge support by the European Research Center for Information Systems (ERCIS).
- 1.Azzouz, R., Bechikh, S., Ben Said, L.: Dynamic multi-objective optimization using evolutionary algorithms: a survey. In: Bechikh, S., Datta, R., Gupta, A. (eds.) Recent Advances in Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization. ALO, vol. 20, pp. 31–70. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-42978-6_2CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bossek, J., Grimme, C., Meisel, S., Rudolph, G., Trautmann, H.: Local search effects in bi-objective orienteering. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2018, pp. 585–592. ACM, New York (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Grimme, C., Meisel, S., Trautmann, H., Rudolph, G., Wölck, M.: Multi-objective analysis of approaches to dynamic routing of a vehicle. In: ECIS 2015 Completed Research Papers. Paper 62. AIS Electronic Library (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Meisel, S., Grimme, C., Bossek, J., Wölck, M., Rudolph, G., Trautmann, H.: Evaluation of a multi-objective EA on benchmark instances for dynamic routing of a vehicle. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2015, pp. 425–432. ACM, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Meisel, S., Wölck, M.: Evaluating idle time policies for real-time routing of a service vehicle. In: ECIS 2015 Completed Research Papers. Paper 132. AIS Electronic Library (2015)Google Scholar