Accurate Attitude Estimation for Drones in 5G Drone Small Cells
In this paper, a new attitude estimation procedure for drones in 5G drone small cells (DSC) is described using array of antennas placed on the body. The proposed method utilizes a fractal structure for the locations of the receiver antennas. By applying the least square (LS) procedure on the received signals, the proposed method estimates the drone attitude more accurately than the state of the art attitude estimation method that exploits hexagonal antenna placement patterns. In order to improve the accuracy of the attitude estimation further, those initial estimated angles can be refined in a second phase by implementing the multiple signal classification (MUSIC) algorithm in two dimensions. The two-phase method is called fractal structure array (FSA). The simulation results indicate that by the employment of the second phase, the accuracy of the attitude estimation is enhanced considerably. In addition, larger fractal structure using more receiver antennas can be applied to improve the performance of the proposed estimation method even further. The computational complexity of the methods are also compared and it is concluded that even by the addition of the second phase, the computational complexity of the FSA method is lower than the other ones.
KeywordsDrone Attitude estimation Fifth generation (5G) Least square (LS) Multiple signal classification (MUSIC) Fractal structure
- 2.4G Americas’ 5G Spectrum Recommendations, August 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Sitzmann, G.L., Drescher, G.H.: Tactical ballistic missiles trajectory state and error covariance propagation. In: Proceedings of IEEE Position Location and Navigation Symposium, Las Vegas, NV, USA, April 1994Google Scholar
- 4.da Costa, J.P.C.L., Schwarz, S., de A. Gadˆelha, L.F., de Moura, H.C., Borges, G.A., Pinheiro, L.A.R.: Attitude determination for unmanned aerial vehicles via an antenna array. In: Proceedings of ITG IEEE Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA 2012), Dresden Germany, March 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, K., da Costa, J.P.C.L., So, H.C., Gadelha, L.F.A., Borges, G.A.: Improved attitude determination for unmanned aerial vehicles with a cross-shaped antenna array. In: Proceedings of 14th IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing (SIP 2012), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp. 60–67, August 2012Google Scholar
- 8.Zhou, M., Zhang, X., Qiu, X., Wang, C.: Two-dimensional DOA estimation for uniform rectangular array using reduced dimension propagator method. Int. J. Antennas and Propag. 2015, 10 (2015). Article ID 485351Google Scholar