On de Boor–Fix Type Functionals for Minimal Splines
This paper considers minimal coordinate splines. These splines as a special case include well-known polynomial B-splines and share most properties of B-splines (linear independency, smoothness, nonnegativity, etc.). We construct a system of dual functionals biorthogonal to the system of minimal splines. The obtained results are illustrated with an example of a polynomial generating vector function, which leads to the construction of B-splines and the de Boor–Fix functionals. For nonpolynomial generating vector functions we give formulas for the construction of nonpolynomial splines and the dual de Boor–Fix type functionals.
KeywordsMinimal spline Nonpolynomial spline B-spline Biorthogonal system Approximation functional Dual functional de Boor–Fix functional
The reported study was funded by a grant of the President of the Russian Federation (MD-2242.2019.9).
- 1.M. Marsden, I.J. Schoenberg, On variation diminishing spline approximation methods. Mathematica (Cluj) 8/31(1), 61–82 (1966)Google Scholar
- 4.S.B. Stechkin, Y.N. Subbotin, Splines in Computational Mathematics (Nauka, Moscow, 1976, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 5.Y.S. Zav’yalov, B.I. Kvasov, V.K. Miroshnichenko, Methods of Spline Functions (Nauka, Moscow, 1980, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 7.Y.K. Dem’yanovich, Local Approximation on a Manifold and Minimal Splines (St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, 1994, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.I.G. Burova, Y.K. Dem’yanovich, Minimal Splines and Their Applications (St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, 2010, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 9.A.A. Makarov, On example of circular arc approximation by quadratic minimal splines. Poincare J. Anal. Appl. 2018(2(II)), Special Issue (IWWFA-III, Delhi), 103–107 (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.A.A. Makarov, Piecewise-continuous spline-wavelets on a nonuniform mesh. Trudy SPIIRAN 14, 103–131 (2010, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 18.A.A. Makarov, Spline wavelet compression on segment, in Selected Chapters of Discrete Harmonic Analysis and Geometric Modeling. P. 2, ed. by V.N. Malozemov (St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, 2014, in Russian), pp. 429–438Google Scholar
- 19.A.A. Makarov, Knot insertion and knot removal matrices for nonpolynomial splines. Numer. Methods Program. 13(1), 74–86 (2012, in Russian)Google Scholar
- 20.O. Kosogorov, A. Makarov, On some piecewise quadratic spline functions, in Numerical Analysis and Its Applications. NAA 2016, ed. by I. Dimov, I. Faragó, L. Vulkov. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 10187 (2017), pp. 448–455Google Scholar