Structure from Motion Systems: Application Possibilities in Education and Cultural Heritage. New Approach Methods to Education and Preservation
This paper aims to show the important role of Structure from Motion Systems in the fields of education and cultural heritage. Starting from an introduction about the Structure from Motion Systems and their development in the last years, there will be shown the modes of operation and some of the possible uses of this approach according some advantages.
In particular, the use of these systems is suggested by the quick resolution of knowledge, representation and surveying problems. The possibility to create 3d models from simple pictures gives the advantage of managing the models with semi-automatic methods and software, which require simple and, differently from other devices in the other representation approaching methodology, cheap and comfortable instruments, as smartphone, cameras, laptops. The development of applications for this kind of devices let a large use of this approach among a lot of people, in particular as an instrument for cultural and historic education for children.
KeywordsEducation Cultural heritage Preservation 3d models
The activity presented in the paper is part of the thesis work of M. Felli in Construction Engineering-Architecture at the University of L’Aquila, “Restoration project of the Church of San Sebastiano in Rosciolo De’ Marsi, 15th cent. (AQ, Italy)” (July, 2016). The education case study is part of a lesson of Disegno Figurativo (prof. M. Centofanti with the collaboration of S. Brusaporci and M. Felli), Master Degree in Science of Primary Education, Department of Human Sciences, University of L’Aquila (January, 2017).
- Bezoari G, Monti C, Selvini A (1992) La fotogrammetria per l’architettura. Liguori Editore, NapoliGoogle Scholar
- Felli M (2016) Restauro della Chiesa di San Sebastiano in Rosciolo Dei Marsi, Master’s degree thesis in Architectural Restoration, Master Degree in Construction-Architectural Engineering (Relator: prof. M. Centofanti; Correlators: prof. S. Brusaporci, F. Di Fabio), University of L’Aquila, DICEAA | Dept. Of Civil, Construction-Architectural, Environmental EngineeringGoogle Scholar
- Ippoliti E (2013) Valorizzare il patrimonio culturale: esperienze per Ascoli Piceno - Shedding light on the Cultural Heritage: the Ascoli Piceno experience. Roma: Aracne. https://www.int-arch-photogramm-remote-sens-spatial-inf-sci.net/
- Ippoliti E, Meschini A, Sicuranza F (2015) Digital photogrammetry and structure from motion for architectural heritage: comparison and integration between procedures. In: Brusaporci S (ed) Handbook of research on emerging digital tools for architectural surveying, modeling and representation, advances in geospatial technologies (AGT) Book SeriesGoogle Scholar
- Micheletti N, Chandler JH, Lane SN (2015) Structure from Motion (SfM) Photogrammetry, British Society for Geomorphology. http://geomorphology.org.uk/sites/default/files/geom_tech_chapters/2.2.2_sfm.pdf
- Sicuranza F (2013) Sperimentazioni di sistemi di structure from motion per la restituzione di apparati decorative. Tesi di Dottorato di Ricerca in Scienze della Rappresentazione e del Rilievo, Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Dipartimento di Storia, Disegno e Restauro dell’Architettura. http://hdl.handle.net/10805/2116