Numerical Study of Eigenmodes Propagation Through Rectangular Waveguide with Quarter-Wave Chokes on the Walls
The problem of improvement of input/output ports construction of conveyor belt microwave heating system is considered. The desirable construction of the ports should not allow electromagnetic energy to escape from the microwave processing chamber, i.e. must operate as stop band filter for a number of eigenmodes. This paper contains numerical results illustrating performance of the quarter-wave chokes as a band-stop filter for large cross-section waveguide. The results were obtained by direct FDTD modeling of the system. Presented results show possibility of effective eigenmode filtering for waveguides with cross-section 780 × 100 mm. Limits of the approach may come from the requirements of small length of the filter (<1 m) and large height of waveguide.
KeywordsEigenmode Band-stop filter Quarter-wave choke FDTD
- 1.Balanis, C.A.: Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics. Wiley, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Yang, L., Bowler, N.: Rational design of double-negative metamaterials consisting of 3D arrays of two different non-metallic spheres arranged on a simple tetragonal lattice. In: IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), Spokane, WA, 3–8 July 2011, vol. 10, pp. 1494–1497 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Mizuno, Y., Sakakibara, K., Kikuma, N.: Loss reduction of microstrip-to-waveguide transition suppressing leakage from gap between substrate and waveguide by choke structure. In: 2016 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), pp. 374–375 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Burrill, A., Ben-Zvi, I., Cole, M., Rathke, J., Kneisel, P., Manus, R., Rimmer, R.: Multipacting analysis of a quarter wave choke joint used for insertion of a demountable cathode into a SRF photoinjector. In: 2007 IEEE Particle Accelerator Conference (PAC), pp. 2544–2546 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.QuickWave-3DTM, QWED Sp. z o.o., ul. Nowowiejska 28, lok. 32, 02-010 Warsaw, Poland. http://www.qwed.com.pl/. Accessed 22 Oct 2018