Autonomous Sail Surface Boats, Design and Testing Results of the MOUNTAINS Prototype
In previous research activities authors have developed a prototype of innovative Autonomous Sail Surface Boat, briefly called MOUNTAINS. This prototype has been the object in the last year of intense activities concerning both design and calibration that have been refined producing an enhanced version aiming to solve some limitations of the previous design that are more generally a clear innovation respect to the state of art of existing sail drones. The most important innovation is represented by an innovative configuration of sails which is able, in conjunction with a revised version of the control system, to assure higher and more robust performances of the vessel respect to different operating conditions. Proposed solution have been tested experimentally at Renai Lakes and obtained results are also described in this work.
Authors wish to tanks all the students and the private sponsors that have sustained this initiative coordinated by Marco Montagni that have enthusiastically supported this work (https://www.facebook.com/labarchettamagica/).
- 2.Allotta, B., Pugi, L., Bartolini, F., Costanzi, R., Ridolfi, A., Monni, N., Gelli, J., Vettori, G., Gualdesi, L., Natalini, M.: The thesaurus project, a long range AUV for extended exploration, surveillance and monitoring of archaeological sites. In: Computational Methods in Marine Engineering V—Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computational Methods in Marine Engineering, MARINE 2013, pp. 760–771 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Allotta, B., Pugi, L., Bartolini, F., Ridolfi, A., Costanzi, R., Monni, N., Gelli, J.: Preliminary design and fast prototyping of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle propulsion system. In: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment, vol. 229 (3), pp. 248–272 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1177/1475090213514040Google Scholar
- 5.Images and tech documentation freely available at the official site of ASM. www.automarinesys.com
- 7.Marsh, P.: The New Industrial Revolution: Consumers, Globalization and the End of Mass Production. Yale University Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Gomes, L., Costa, A., Fernandes, D., Marques, H., Anjos, F.: Improving instrumentation support and control strategies for autonomous sailboats in a regatta contest. In: Robotic Sailing 2016, pp. 45–56. Springer, Cham (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Gomes, L., Costa, A., Moutinho, F., Mota, R.: Attracting students to engineering through autonomous sailing yacht development. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 3252–3257. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Lavigne, E., Piquemal, B., Bourdon, A., Chesné, S., Guillou, G., Babau, J.P.: A process for evaluating parametric models for mechanical systems simulation: the case of a sailboat. In: Sofware and Hardware Architectures for Robots Control (2016)Google Scholar