Embedded System to Recognize Movement and Breathing in Assisted Living Environments
The goal of this paper pretends to show how a bed system with an embedded system with sensor is able to analyze a person’s movement, breathing and recognizing the positions that the subject is lying on the bed during the night without any additional physical contact. The measurements are performed with sensors placed between the mattress and the frame. An Intel Edison board was used as an endpoint that served as a communication node from the mesh network to external service. Two nodes and Intel Edison are attached to the bottom of the bed frame and they are connected to the sensors.
This research was partially funded by the EU Interreg V-Program “Alpenrhein-Bodensee-Hochrhein”: Project “IBH Living Lab Active and Assisted Living”, grants ABH040 and ABH66.
- 1.William, H.: Springs: Essentials of Polysomnography (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Cummings, S.: The best and worst sleep positions for different medical problems. In: The Sleep Advisor (2017). https://www.sleepadvisor.org/best-sleeping-positions/
- 3.Hines, J.: Which sleep position is the best. Alaska sleep clinic (2018). http://www.alaskasleep.com/blog/which-sleep-position-is-best
- 4.Willson, A.: Benefits of sleep, tuck advancing better sleep (2017). https://www.tuck.com/sleep-benefits/
- 5.Mastin, L.: How sleep works. www.howsleepworks.com
- 6.Lee-Chiong, T.: Sleep Medicine: Essentials and Review (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Redeker, N.S., McEnnany, G.P.: Sleep Disorders and Sleep Promotion in Nursing Practice (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Chokroverty, S., Thomas, R.: Atlas of Sleep Medicine, 2nd edn (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Friedman, M.: Sleep Apnea and Snoring: Surgical and Nonsurgical (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Brain Ripley, W.V.: (2016) https://cran.rproject
- 11.Yaniger, S.I.: Force Sensing Resistors: A Review of the Technology, pp. 666–668. Electro International (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Velicu, O.R., Madrid, N.M., Seepold, R.: Experimental sleep phases monitoring. In: 2016 IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI), pp. 625–628 (2016)Google Scholar