Context-Aware Environments in Passenger Train Transportation Systems: Ideas, Feasibility and Risks
In this article, an interactive context-aware system applied in passenger train transportation is outlined, following a holistic approach. User-system interaction is provided by means of wireless sensor/actuator networks deployed in several locations of the train infrastructure, coupled with additional information, such as user mobile phone data. Several services, such as user assistance (location/guidance), location-based marketing and interactive agendas are suggested. In addition to proposing this conceptual idea, analysis in terms of Quality of Service metrics, in terms of wireless coverage/capacity channel estimation, as well as potential security issues are discussed. In this article we do not describe and discuss the solution in detail. Instead, the goal of this article is to set the ground for the development of the idea, discuss its feasibility in communications terms, and point out the security and privacy risks that might arise in this kind of contexts.
This work is supported by Generalitat de Catalunya projects 2017-SGR-896 and 2017-DI-002, and by URV project 2017PFR-URV-B2-41.
- 1.Riaño, D., Solanas, A.: Exploiting the relation between environmental factors and diseases: a case study on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: Workshop on Knowledge Representation for Health-Care Data, Processes and Guidelines. KR4HC 2014: Knowledge Representation for Health Care, pp. 160–173 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Solanas, A., Casino, F., Batista, E., Rallo, R.: Trends and challenges in smart health-care research: a journey from data to wisdom. In: 3rd International Forum on Re- search and Technologies for Society and Industry (RTSI), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.All Ways Travelling-POC. https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/docs/2017-awt-phase-2.pdf
- 5.SWD 226 final document: The implementation of the 2011 White Paper on Transport “Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area—towards a competitive and resource-efficient transport system” five years after its publication: achievements and challenges (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Azpilicueta, L., Astrain, J.J., Lopez-Iturri, P., Granda, F., Vargas-Rosales, C., Villadangos, J., Perallos, A., Bahillo, A., Falcone, F.: Optimization and design of wireless systems for the implementation of context aware scenarios in railway passenger vehicles. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 99, 1–13 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Aguirre, E., Lopez-Iturri, P., Azpilicueta, L., Redondo, A., Astrain, J.J., Villadangos, J., Bahillo, A., Perallos, A., Falcone, F.: Design and implementation of context aware applications with wireless sensor network support in urban train transportation environments. IEEE Sens. J. 17, 169–178 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chen, B., et al.: Security analysis of urban railway systems: the need for a cyber-physical perspective. in: International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability, and Security. Springer, Cham (2014)Google Scholar