Scalability and Performance Testing of an E-Learning Platform Integrating the WebRTC Technology: Scenario “Authentication”
African countries, which are in the process of economic emergence, are placing increasing emphasis on hybrid education systems that promote socioconstructivism between members of distance education. To support this dynamic, we have set up an E-learning platform based on WebRTC technology. This platform operates in an intranet, and allows users to communicate in real time. The purpose of this paper is to test the scalability and performance of said platform for the “authentication” scenario, in order to ensure its functional capacity, stability, availability and latency.
To achieve our goal, we installed JMeter Apache, which is an open source Java application designed as a graphical interface. It allows to measure and analyze the functional capabilities and performance of a web application. The results of the various tests show that our application is efficient because it reacts to a scalability with a number of users much higher than that which should contain minimally a virtual class. In addition, multiple users authenticate simultaneously to reach the virtual classroom without server connection failure.
KeywordsLoad testing Performance testing E-learning platform JMeter apache
- 1.Ouya, S., Seyed, C., Mbacke, A.B., Mendy, G., Niang, I.: WebRTC platform proposition as a support to the educational system of universities in a limited internet connection context (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Sharmila, S., Ramadevi, E.: Analysis of performance testing on web applications. Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Commun. Eng. (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Elbaum, S., Karre, S., Rothermel, G.: Improving web application testing with user session data. In: Proceedings of 25th International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 49–59 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Sarojadevi, H.: Performance testing: methodologies and tools. J. Inf. Eng. Appl. (online) 1(5) (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Nevedrov, D.: Using JMeter to Performance Test Web Services, Published on dev2dev (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Kiran, S., Mohapatra, A., Swamy, R.: Experiences in performance testing of web applications with unified authentication platform using Jmeter. In: 2015 International Symposium on Technology Management and Emerging Technologies (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Halili, E.H.: Apache JMeter: A practical beginner’s guide to automated testing and performance measurement for your websites (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Duan, Q., Liang, Z., Wang, L.: Efficient file sharing scheme based on WebRTC. In: 2015 International Conference on Material, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Oh, H., Ahn, S., Choi, J., Yang, J.: WebRTC based remote collaborative online learning platform. In: 2015 Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on All-Web Real-Time Systems (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Ouya, S., Sylla, K., Faye, P.M.D., Sow, M.Y., Lishou, C.: Impact of integrating WebRTC in universities’ e-learning platforms. In: 2015 5th World Congress on Information and Communication Technologies (2015)Google Scholar