Resin and Glass Ionomer-Based Pit and Fissure Sealants
Sealing the pits and fissures is recognized and acknowledged as a powerful tool in preventive dentistry. Though very basic in terms of technique, the universal resin-based sealants continue to pose a challenge because of their technique-sensitive nature of placement. Issues with long-term sealant retention can exasperate even the most diligent practitioner. This chapter discusses this simple technique to show how meticulous and accurate execution of the procedure can improve long-term success outcomes. The use of glass ionomer sealants is explained as well. High-resolution intraoral clinical photographs of the step-by-step technique in placing a sealant, useful information on assessing sealants on follow-up, and clinical tips make this chapter very handy in any dental practice that treats children.
KeywordsPit and fissure sealants Resin sealants Dental sealants Sealing caries Glass ionomer sealants Partial eruption MIH Sealant wear Sealant retention Sealant technique Permanent teeth Primary teeth Bonding agents Etching times
- 2.Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Forss H, Walsh T, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M, Worthington HV. Pit and fissure sealants for preventing dental decay in permanent teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;(7):CD001830. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001830.pub5.
- 4.Wells MH. Pit and fissure sealants: scientific and clinical rationale. In: Casamassimo P, Fields H, Mctigue D, Nowak A, editors. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2013. p. 467–89.Google Scholar
- 6.Simonsen RJ. Pit and fissure sealants. In: Clinical applications of the acid etch technique. 1st ed. Chicago, IL: Quintessence Publishing; 1978. p. 19–42.Google Scholar
- 7.Hicks J, Flaitz CM. Pit and fissure sealants and conservative adhesive restorations: scientific and clinical rationale. In: Pinkham JR, Casamassimo P, Fields HW, et al., editors. Pediatric dentistry: infancy through adolescence. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2005.Google Scholar
- 8.Barroso JM, Torres CP, Lessa FC, Pécora JD, Palma-Dibb RG, Borsatto MC. Shear bond strength of pit-and-fissure sealants to saliva-contaminated and noncontaminated enamel. J Dent Child (Chic). 2005;72(3):95–9.Google Scholar
- 16.Torres CP, Balbo P, Gomes-Silva JM, Ramos RP, Palma-Dibb RG, Borsatto MC. Effect of individual or simultaneous curing on sealant bond strength. J Dent Child (Chic). 2005;72(1):31–5.Google Scholar