Introduction: The Predicaments of Differentiation
This chapter discusses the topicality and predicament of political differentiation in Europe. It presents the development of a differentiated Europe, and sets out some ways to conceptualise the phenomenon. The chapter looks at how differentiation has become increasingly entrenched in the legal framework of the EU, as several treaties have formalised possibilities for both enhanced cooperation and opt-outs or exceptions. Then, it introduces some potential negative effects of political differentiation, and how it can lead to dominance or arbitrary rule. Lastly, the chapter gives an overview of book.
KeywordsDifferentiation European integration Vertical and horizontal differentiation Democratic rule
- Avbelj, Matej. 2013. Differentiated Integration: Farewell to the EU-27? German Law Journal 14 (1): 191–212.Google Scholar
- Boffey, D., and Rankin, J. 2017. UK Will Rejoin the EU One Day, Suggests Jean-Claude Juncker. The Guardian, 10 March. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/10/jean-claude-juncer-uk-rejoin-eu-one-day-brexit. Accessed on 25 May 2017.
- Brunkhorst, Hauke. 2014. The Beheading of the Legislative Power. European Constitutionalism Between Capitalism and Democracy. In The European Union in Crises and the European Union as Crises?, ed. J.E. Fossum and A. Menéndez, ARENA Report No. 2/14.Google Scholar
- Craig, Paul. 2014. Economic Governance and the Euro Crisis: Constitutional Architecture and Constitutional Implications. In The Constitutionalization of European Budgetary Constraints, ed. Maurice Adams, Federico Fabbrini, and Pierre Larouche, 19–40. Oxford: Hart Publishing.Google Scholar
- Deutsche Welle. 2017. Merkel Backs Idea of ‘Multispeed Europe’ at Versailles Meet. 6 March. http://www.dw.com/en/merkel-backs-idea-of-multispeed-europe-at-versailles-meet/a-37833273. Accessed on 24 May 2017.
- De Witte, Bruno, Andrea Ott, and Ellen Vos. 2017. Between Flexibility and Disintegration: The Trajectory. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Easton, David. 1953. The Political System: An Inquiry into the State of Political Science. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Eriksen, Erik O., and John Erik Fossum. 2015. The European Union’s Non-members: Independence Under Hegemony? London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2017. White Paper on the Future of Europe: Reflections and Scenarios for the EU27 by 2025. COM(2017)2025 of 1 March 2017.Google Scholar
- European Union. 2012. The Consolidated Versions of the Treaty on European Union (TEU) and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU), 2012/C 326. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A12012M%2FTXT. Accessed on 10 February 2017.
- Fabbrini, Sergio. 2015. Which European Union? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Fossum, John Erik, and Hans Petter Graver. 2017. Squaring the Circle on Brexit: Could the Norway Model Work? Bristol: Bristol University Press.Google Scholar
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2012. The Crisis of the European Union: A Response. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2016a. Core Europe to the Rescue: A Conversation with Jürgen Habermas About Brexit and the EU Crisis. Social Europe, 12 July. https://www.socialeurope.eu/2016/07/core-europe-to-the-rescue/. Accessed on 26 May 2017.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2016b. For a Democratic Polarisation: How to Pull the Ground From Under Right-Wing Populism. Social Europe, 17 November. https://www.socialeurope.eu/2016/11/democratic-polarisation-pull-ground-right-wing-populism/. Accessed on 26 May 2017.
- Joerges, Christian. 2014. Three Transformations of Europe and the Search for a Way Out of Its Crisis. In The European Crisis and the Transformation of Transnational Governance: Authoritarian Managerialism Versus Democratic Governance, ed. Christian Joerges and Carola Glinski, 25–46. Oxford: Hart Publishing.Google Scholar
- Keohane, Robert O., and Joseph S. Nye. 1977. Power and Interdependence: World Politics in Transition. Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Levy, Daniel, Max Pensky, and John Torpey (eds.). 2005. Old Europe, New Europe, Core Europe. Transatlantic Relations after the Iraq War. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Lord, Christopher. 2017. Differentiated Authority Relations in the EU. Paper Presented at ARENA Research in Progress Seminar, Oslo, Norway, 14 February.Google Scholar
- Menéndez, Agustín J. 2013. The Existential Crisis of the European Union. German Law Journal 14 (5): 453–525.Google Scholar
- Offe, Claus, and Ulrich K. Preuss. 2016. Citizens in Europe: Essays on Democracy, Constitutionalism and European Integration. Colchester: ECPR Press.Google Scholar
- Piris, Jean-Claude. 2012. The Future of Europe: Towards a Two-Speed EU? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Rawls, John. 1971. A Theory of Justice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Schmitt, Carl. 1996 . The Concept of the Political. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Schwarzer, Daniela. 2015. The Euro Area Crises, Shifting Power Relations and Institutional Change in the European Union. Global Policy 3 (Supplement 1): 28–41.Google Scholar
- Strzelecki, Marek. 2017. Poland Talks Tough Against ‘Multi-Speed’ EU Ahead of Rome Summit. Bloomberg, 23 March. https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-23/poland-talks-tough-against-multi-speed-eu-ahead-of-rome-summit. Accessed on 24 May 2017.
- The Economist. 2017. Europe’s Future Is Multi-Speed and Multi-Tier. 23 March. http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21719193-eu-must-embrace-greater-differentiation-or-face-potential-disintegration-europes. Accessed on 1 April 2017.
- Tuori, Kaarlo, and Klaus Tuori. 2014. The Eurozone Crisis: A Constitutional Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Weiler, Joseph H.H. 2012. Foreword. In The Future of Europe: Towards a Two-Speed EU?, ed. Jean-Claude Piris. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Wintour, P. 2017. Plans for Two-Speed EU Risk Split with “Peripheral” Members. The Guardian, 14 February. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/14/plans-for-two-speed-eu-risk-split-with-peripheral-members. Accessed on 24 May 2017.