Work from Light
After some background information on our star, the sun, the theory of radiation is explained briefly. One alternative derivation of the Stefan–Boltzmann law is presented here and obtained by means of dimensional analysis. The concept of solid angle, its derivation, and its implications on the energy balances is done here with the purpose of introducing the meaning of photosynthetic active radiation. A microorganism which is utilizing energy from the sun or a common feedstock can be considered as an energy-converting machine. For this reason, the classical concepts of thermodynamics can be applied for these systems. The chapter continues with a part related to biomass composition, properties, and the useful concept of radiation use efficiency. Examples and data are reported abundantly from the literature.
- DeWitt, D. P., & Nutter, G. (1988). Theory and practice of radiation thermometry. Wiley.Google Scholar
- Hall, D. O., & Rao, K. (1999). Photosynthesis. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Incropera, F. P., Bergman, T. L., & Lavine, A. S. (2006). Introduction to heat transfer (5th Edition). Wiley.Google Scholar
- Knyazikhin, Y., Martonchik, J. V., Myneni, R. B., Diner, D. J., & Running, S. W. (1998). Synergistic algorithm for estimating vegetation canopy leaf area index and fraction of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation from MODIS and MISR data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 103(D24), 32257–32275. https://doi.org/10.1029/98JD02462.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ksenzhek, O. S., & Volkov, A. G. (1998). Plant energetics. San Diego, California: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Liddle, A. (2015). An introduction to modern cosmology (3rd ed.). Wiley.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2018). NIST chemistry webbook. Retrieved October 3, 2018, from https://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/.
- Odenwald, S. (2018). IMAGE Education Center. Imager for magnetopause to aurora global exploration. US: NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Retrieved from https://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11354.html.
- Richtmyer, F. K., Kennard, E. K., & Cooper, J. N. (1969). Introduction to modern physics (6th ed.). McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Williams, D. R. (2013). Sun fact sheet. NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.Google Scholar