Some Parameters and Properties of Biomass Fuels
The main parameters of some kinds of biomass feedstock are given here as reference to simple energy balances where they can be utilized. The chapter presents data from diverse sources and starts by giving the properties of biomass in terms of its physical parameters. The evaluation of the calorific values (treated more extensively in the first part of this manuscript) is followed by data on the proximate and ultimate analysis of diverse kinds of biomass. The main parameters required for an overall energy balance are given, and this is followed by proximate and ultimate analysis numbers for different species. In addition, data related to agrofuels are given with the related air requirements for its combustion, and this is followed by combustion properties of peat, minor agrofuels, and related. The section continues with some tables where several data on the parameters, composition, and combustion properties for different types of biomass are given. Notions of stoichiometry are provided at the end of the chapter.
- Bahadori, A., Zahedi, G., Zendehboudi, S., & Jamili, A. (2014). Estimation of the effect of biomass moisture content on the direct combustion of sugarcane bagasse in boilers. International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 33, 349–356. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786451.2012.748766.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bartok, W., & Sarofim, A. F. (1991). Fossil fuel combustion: A source book (1st ed.). Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- Borman, G. L., & Ragland, K. W. (1998). Combustion engineering. McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Bushnell, D. J., Haluzok, C., & Dadkhah-Nikoo, A. (1990). Biomass fuel characterization : Testing and evaluating the combustion characteristics of selected biomass fuels. Final Report May 1, 1988–July, 1989 (No. DOE/BP-1363). Portland, OR (USA): USDOE Bonneville Power Administration; Corvallis, OR (USA): Oregon State Univ. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering. https://doi.org/10.2172/6910422.
- Clarke, D., & Rieley, J. (2010). Strategy for responsible peatland management. Saarijärvi: International Peat Society.Google Scholar
- De Blasio, C., Lucca, G., Özdenkci, K., Mulas, M., Lundqvist, K., Koskinen, J., et al. (2015). A study on supercritical water gasification of black liquor conducted in stainless steel and nickel-chromium-molybdenum reactors. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 91(10), 2664–2678. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.4871.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ECN, The Netherlands. (2018). Phyllis2—Database for biomass and waste (WWW Document). https://www.ecn.nl/phyllis2/. Accessed August 22, 2018.
- Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Department, USA. (2018). Bioenergy Technologies Office|Department of Energy (WWW Document). https://www.energy.gov/eere/bioenergy. Accessed August 22, 2018.
- Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Paryavaran Bhavan. (2014). Pollution control guidelines for conversion of boilers/utilities from natural gas to solid fuels (coal, lignite, agro fuels etc).Google Scholar
- Jenkins, B. (1993). Properties of biomass. In Biomass energy fundamentals (EPRI Report).Google Scholar
- Ksenzhek, O. S., & Volkov, A. G. (1998). Plant energetics. San Diego, California: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Motta, I. L., Miranda, N. T., Maciel Filho, R., & Wolf Maciel, M. R. (2018). Biomass gasification in fluidized beds: A review of biomass moisture content and operating pressure effects. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94, 998–1023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.06.042.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pessarakli, M. (2005). Handbook of photosynthesis. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Rayaprolu, K. (2009). Boilers for power and process. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Reed, T. B., & Golden, A. D. (1988). Handbook of biomass downdraft gasifier engine systems.Google Scholar
- Rumble, J. (2018). CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Serup, H., Kofman, P. D., Falster, H., Gamborg, C., Gundersen, P., Hansen, L., et al. (2005). Wood for energy production. Dublin: Coford.Google Scholar
- Tillman, D. (1978). Wood as an energy resource. New York, USA: Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-691260-9.X5001-0.
- Turpeinen, T. (2016). Developing biofuels production from food industry wastes in the rural area of Kenya. Savonia: University of Applied Sciences Technology and Transport.Google Scholar
- Van Loo, S., & Koppejan, J. (2008). The handbook of biomass gasification and co-firing. Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Virtanen, K., Hänninen, P., Kallinen, R. L., Virtiainen, S., Herranen, T., & Jokisaari, R. (2003). The peat reserves of Finland in 2000. Geological Survey of Finland. Vammalan Kirjapaino Oy.Google Scholar