A Toolkit for Creating Cross-Reality Serious Games
In this paper, we present a toolkit that aims at facilitating the design and implementation of serious games played in cross-reality environments. This type of systems interconnects a physical space with a virtual world. Its use as a platform for serious games will open the door to the design of collaborative learning experiences based on games played simultaneously by real and virtual players. However, due the wide range of technologies they require to integrate, their implementation could be complex and expensive. The toolkit aims at lowering the cost of building cross-reality serious games, so that the opportunities that this type of artefacts might offer in educational contexts can be more easily explored.
KeywordsSerious games Cross-reality Authoring tools
This work is supported by the project CREAx funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (TIN2014-56534-R).
- 2.Reilly, D., Rouzati, H., Wu, A., Yeon Hwang, J., Brudvik, J, Keith Edwards, W.: Twinspace: an infrastructure for cross-reality team spaces. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 119–128. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Peña-Ríos, A., Callaghan, V., Gardner, M., Alhaddad, M.: Remote mixed reality collaborative laboratory activities: Learning activities within the interreality portal. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, vol. 03, pp. 362–366. IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Winn, W.: A conceptual basis for educational applications of virtual reality. Technical Publication R-93-9, Human Interface Technology Laboratory of the Washington Technology Center, University of Washington, Seattle (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, G.-D., Chao, P.-Y.: Augmenting traditional books with context-aware learning supports from online learning communities. J. Educ. Technol. Soc. 11(2), 27–40 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Fusté, A., Amores, J., Perdices, S., Ortega, S., Miralles, D.: LSInvaders: cross reality environment inspired by the arcade game space invaders. In: ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, p. 399 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Bellucci, A., Zarraonandia, T., Díaz, P., Aedo, I.: End-user prototyping of cross-reality environments. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction, pp. 173–182. ACM, March 2017Google Scholar