The Role of the Interpreter of Brazilian Sign Language in the Dialogue Among Deaf and Hearing Students in Mathematics Classes
This chapter is based on a research project whose focus is the teaching and learning of mathematics in environments where deaf students and hearing students are together. In this context, the complexity of teaching and learning processes becomes more evident due to the use of two languages for communication and the presence of a new person in the classroom, the interpreter, whose function is to interpret/translate the Portuguese to Libras and vice versa. However, using a teaching methodology based on an inquiry approach, in which the dialogue is the main pattern of communication, the role of the interpreter can have other characteristics. In order to contribute to a better understanding of the practices of the interpreter, this chapter discusses some episodes from mathematics classes, highlighting the interpreter’s participation. We first present the working context of the interpreter, including the policies, challenges, and perspectives of this profession. After this, some relevant aspects of the dialogue perspective adopted in the research are elucidated. Finally, we present two episodes in which the interactions in the mathematics classes were mediated by an interpreter. The results indicate that in the context of landscapes of investigation, the role of the interpreter gains characteristics that go beyond the interpretation/translation. We recognize the role of the interpreter as fundamental in promoting equality in classrooms where deaf and hearing are together. And we understand this equality as a crucial point for creating new ways of understanding, especially with respect to mathematics.
KeywordsDeafness Mathematics education Interpreter Brazilian Sign Language landscapes of investigation
We want to thank Daniela Alves, Denner Barros, Celia Roncato, Débora Vieira, and Ole Skovsmose for their helpful comments and suggestions.
- Alrø, H., & Skovsmose, O. (2004). Dialogue and learning in mathematics education: Intention, reflection, critique. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Decreto n° 5.626 [Act no. 5.626], D.O.U. de 22 de dezembro de 2005 (Brazil).Google Scholar
- Kotaki, C. S., & Lacerda, C. B. F. d. (2013). O intérprete de Libras no contexto da escola inclusiva: Focalizando sua atuação na segunda etapa do Ensino Fundamental [The interpreter of Libras in the context of the inclusive school: Focusing its action in the second stage of elementary school]. In C. B. F. Lacerda & L. F. Santos (Eds.), Tenho um aluno surdo, e agora? Introdução à Libras e educação de surdos (pp. 201–218). São Carlos, Brazil: EdUFSCar.Google Scholar
- Lei de Líbras [Líbras Law], Lei n° 10.436, D.O.U. de 24 de abril de 2002 (Brazil).Google Scholar
- Milani, R. (2015). O processo de aprender a dialogar por futuros professores de matemática com seus alunos no estágio supervisionado [The process of learning to be engaged in dialogue by prospective mathematics teachers with their students in supervised teaching practice] (Doctoral dissertation). São Paulo State University, Rio Claro, Brazil.Google Scholar
- Regulamenta a profissão de Tradutor e Intérprete da Língua Brasileira de Sinais [Regulation for the profession of translator and interpreter of the Brazilian Sign Language], Lei n° 12.319, D.O.U de 1 de Setembro de 2010 (Brazil).Google Scholar
- Sales, E. R. d., Penteado, M. G., & Moura, A. Q. (2015). A negociação de sinais em libras como possibilidade de ensino e de aprendizagem de geometria [The negotiation of signs in Brazilian sign language as a possibility for teaching and learning geometry]. Boletim de Educação Matemática, 29(53), 1268–1286.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Santos, L. F. d. (2014). O fazer do intérprete educacional: Práticas, estratégias e criações [The making of the educational interpreter: Practices, strategies, and creations] (Doctoral dissertation). Federal University of São Carlos, São Carlos, Brazil.Google Scholar
- Silva, J. A. d., & Pinto, G. M. d. F. (2017). As ações do professor de matemática e do intérprete educacional junto ao aluno surdo [The actions of the mathematics teacher and of the educational interpreter together with deaf student]. Educação Pública. Retrieved from http://educacaopublica.cederj.edu.br/revista/artigos/as-acoes-do-professor-de-matematica-e-do-interprete-educacional-de-libras-junto-ao-aluno-surdo-incluido-na-sala-de-aula-regular
- Skliar, C. (1998). A Surdez: Um olhar sobre as diferenças [Deafness: A look on the differences]. Porto Alegre, Brazil: Mediação.Google Scholar
- Skovsmose, O. (2000). Cenários para investigação [Landscapes of investigation]. Bolema, 13(14), 66–91.Google Scholar