Conclusions: Gomorrah 3 and Italian Television Abroad
This chapter addresses the allure of sympathetic perpetrators on Italian television by discussing the Gomorrah 3’s continued controversy, innovative marketing strategy, and alignment with the buddy film. It pays close attention to spoilers, exploring the author’s position as a viewer who has watched the series knowing how it would end—an important question considering the global popularity of Gomorrah and the shifting viewing practices of millions of fans who do not have immediate access to the product. It notes how Gomorrah 3 ticks all of the boxes essential to creating the serial perpetrator identikit, before concluding by meditating upon the ramifications of Marco D’Amore’s ascension from actor interpreting leading antihero Ciro di Marzio to one of the four directors of forthcoming episodes of Gomorrah 4. The chapter concludes by underlining that Sky and Netflix are successful in producing local content with an appeal to global audiences through featuring likable criminal antiheroes. They also added their own twist in a focus on conventionally physically attractive perpetrators who are engaged in factually based criminal acts. Italy’s most popular, exported series feature alluring and attractive criminal antiheroes, and offer fictionalized accounts of historical events or figures. Sky and Netflix series highlight the routine violence in the mafia, the police force, and the political sphere, while rendering that violence, and its perpetrators, worthy of sympathy. Italian broadcasters have made an international name for themselves in presenting Italian tragedy in formats that are visually pleasurable and, for many across the globe, highly addictive.
- (@Dli22). 2017. Twitter, December 22. Accessed May 31, 2018. https://twitter.com/Dli_22/status/944323578161442821.
- Albrecht, Michael Mario. 2015. Masculinity in Contemporary Quality Television. Surrey and Burlington: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Ariston, Anderson. 2017. “It’s All-Out War in ‘Gomorrah’ Season 3.” Hollywood Reporter, September 14. Accessed May 29, 2018. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/it-s-all-war-gomorrah-season-3-trailer-1039010.
- Bellopede, Vincenzo. 2017. “La storia d’amore tra Ciro e Genny.” Hall of Series, December 28. Accessed May 27, 2018. https://www.hallofseries.com/gomorra/ciro-e-genny-storia-amore/.
- Bitchyf. 2017. “Gomorra: entra un personaggio gay (come Suburra e Narcos) e scatta il primo bacio – ecco chi è.” Bitchyf, November 19. Accessed May 31, 2018. https://www.bitchyf.it/gomorra-entra-un-personaggio-gay-suburra-narcos/.
- Canino, Francesco. 2017. “Gomorra: perché i magistrate hanno criticato le serie tv.” Panorama, December 6. Accessed May 27, 2018. https://www.panorama.it/televisione/serie-tv/gomorra-critiche-magistrati/.
- Carroll, Noël. 2001. Beyond Aesthetics: Philosophical Essays. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Castle, Terry. 1986. Masquerade and Civilization: The Carnivalesque in Eighteenth-Century English Culture and Fiction. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Clum, John M. 2009. “Batting for the Other Team: Masculinity, Homosexuality, and Sports in Contemporary Drama and Film.” In Performing Difference: Representations of “The Other” in Film and Theatre, edited by Jonathan C. Friedman, 172–85. Lanham and Boulder: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- Coen, Emanuele. 2017. ‘“Rapporti ambigui e psichologie complesse;’ Comencini svela I segreti di Gomorra 3.” L’Espresso, September 25. Accessed March 18, 2018. http://espresso.repubblica.it/visioni/cultura/2017/09/19/news/francesca-comencini-ecco-le-donne-di-gomorra-3-1.310253.
- Dondi, Beatrice. 2017. “La solitudine del male e le inutile polemiche sugli anti-eroi.” la Repubblica, November 27. Accessed May 30, 2018. http://espresso.repubblica.it/visioni/2017/11/24/news/gomorra-la-solitudine-del-male-e-le-inutili-polemiche-sugli-anti-eroi-1.314976.
- Fumarola, Silvia. 2017. “Gomorra 3, Roberto Saviano: ‘La nostra forze? Siamo autentici: non c’è il bene.’” la Repubblica, November 14. Accessed May 27, 2018. http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/tv-radio/2017/11/14/news/gomorra_3_roberto_saviano_la_nostra_forza_siamo_autentici_non_c_e_il_bene_-181091204/.
- Holdaway, Dom. 2016. “Boss in Sala: Cultural Legitimacy and Italian Mafia Films.” Comunicazioni sociali 3: 445–54.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Benjamin K., and Judith E. Rosenbaum. 2017. “(Don’t) Tell Me How It Ends: Spoilers, Enjoyment, and Involvement in Television and Film.” Media Psychology (No issue number): 1–31.Google Scholar
- La Stampa. 2017. “Fenomeno Gomorra 3, i primi episodi escono al cinema e conquistano il box office.” La Stampa, November 15. Accessed May 27, 2017. http://www.lastampa.it/2017/11/15/spettacoli/fenomeno-gomorra-i-primi-episodi-escono-al-cinema-e-conquistano-il-box-office-F6jiKJZpH35wU9kgT36CBN/pagina.html.
- Lorenzoni, Adriano. 2017. “Tv ‘Gomorra’: Final shock, Gennaro uccide Ciro. Fan in Rivolta su Twitter.” Terni in rete, December 23. Accessed May 31, 2018. http://www.terninrete.it/Notizie-di-Terni/tv-gomorra-finale-shock-gennaro-uccide-ciro-fan-in-rivolta-su-twitter-436902.
- M.B. 2018. “Gomorra 4, Genny Savastano scalda i fan: ‘Ciro è morto davvero?’” Corriere della Sera, April 4. Accessed May 31, 2018. https://www.iodonna.it/personaggi/cinema-tv/2018/04/04/gomorra-4-genny-savastano-scalda-fan-ciro-e-morto-davvero/.
- Madden, Ed. 2009. “The Buggering Hillbilly and the Buddy Movie: Make Sexuality in Deliverance.” In The Way We Read James Dickey: Critical Approaches for the Twenty-First Century, edited by William B. Thesig and Theda Wrede, 195–209. Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- Mittell, Jason. 2015. Complex TV: The Poetics of Contemporary Television Storytelling. New York and London: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Nettuno, Attilio. 2017. “Gomorra 3: Morto Ciro l’Immortale, su Twitter i fan si scatenano.” Caserta News, December 23. Accessed May 31, 2018. http://www.casertanews.it/cronaca/morte-ciro-di-marzio-gomorra-3-twitter-caserta.html.
- Salamandra, Antonio. 2018. “‘Riporterò in vita Ciro di Marzio’: spopola la foto su Instagram.” Anteprima24.it, January 20. Accessed June 11, 2018. https://www.anteprima24.it/napoli/vita-ciro-foto/.
- Sky Atlantic HD. 2017. “Sky Upfront: ecco le serie tv della stagione televisiva 2017–2018.” SkyAtlanticHD, 12 September. Accessed May 12, 2017. http://skyatlantic.sky.it/skyatlantic/news/2017/09/12/sky-upfront-2017-2018.html.
- Vitali, Alessandra. 2017. “Gomorra 3, uno degli autori: ‘vi speigo perché è finite come non volevate.’” la Repubblica, December 25. Accessed May 31, 2018. http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/tv-radio/2017/12/25/news/gomorra_3_ciro_leonardo_fasoli-185175218/.
- Vivarelli, Nick. 2017. “‘Gomorra 3’ TV Series Soars to Top of Italian Theatrical Box Office Prior to TV Outing.” Variety, November 16. Accessed May 27, 2018. http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/sky-italias-new-gomorrah-3-tv-series-soars-to-top-of-italian-theatrical-box-office-in-innovative-experiment-exclusive-1202616341/.
- Vivarelli, Nick. 2018. “MIP: Italy’s Rich Cinema History Influences Country’s New TV Lineup.” Variety, April 7. Accessed May 9, 2018. http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/my-brilliant-frined-mip-italys-rich-cinema-history-influences-countrys-new-tv-lineup-1202746323/.
- Vulpo. 2017. “Jon Hamm Thanks Social Media Is the ‘Visual Equivalent to Masturbating.’” ENews, June 2. Accessed July 11, 2018. https://www.eonline.com/news/858761/jon-hamm-thinks-social-media-is-the-visual-equivalent-of-masturbating.
- Wood, Robin. 2003. Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan… and Beyond. New York and Chichester: Columbus University Press.Google Scholar