Optimization and Multicriteria Evaluation of District Heat Production and Storage
Climate change mitigation policy requires reducing dependence on fossil fuels and transition to low carbon energy production in district heating (DH). We study here inclusion of two kinds of renewable energy to a CHP based DH system in Finland: solar heat and ground source heat. In addition, we apply heat storages to balance the gap between production and fluctuating demand. The optimal operation of the extended systems is determined by a simulation and optimization model to minimize the operating costs. We evaluate the different possible extensions in terms of multiple economic, technical and environmental criteria using Stochastic Multicriteria Acceptability Analysis (SMAA). The results show that under Finnish conditions, ground source heat is more favourable than solar heat for DH.
KeywordsCarbon-neutral District heating Heat-only production Multicriteria decision analysis SMAA
This research has been funded, in part, by the Academy of Finland, project 298317.
- Boissavy, C. (2015). Cost and return on investment for geothermal heat pump systems in France. In Proceedings World Geothermal Congress 2015, Melbourne, Australia, 19–25 April 2015.Google Scholar
- EU. (2010). Directive 2010/75/EU of the European parliament and of the council of 24 November 2010 on industrial emissions (integrated pollution prevention and control). http://data.europa.eu/eli/dir/2010/75/oj.
- IEA. (2012). IEA SHC Task 45, Fact Sheets (2012), http://task45.iea-shc.org/fact-sheets.
- IEA. (2017). Solar district heating: inspiration and experiences from Denmark. Danish District Heating Association/PlanEnergi, Publisher: IEA SHC TASK 55, http://task55.iea-shc.org/publications.
- Kangas, J., Hokkanen, J., Kangas, A., Lahdelma, R., & Salminen, P. (2003). Applying stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis to forest ecosystem management with both cardinal and ordinal criteria. Forest Science, 49(6), 928–937.Google Scholar
- Karabay, S., Kose, E., Kabak, M., & Ozceylan, E. (2016). Mathematical model and stochastic multi-criteria acceptability analysis for facility location problem. PROMET – Traffic & Transportation 28(3), 245–256.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R. L., & Raiffa, H. (1976). Decisions with multiple objectives: Preferences and value tradeoffs. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Lahdelma, R., & Salminen, P. (2008a). Multicriteria decision analysis for choosing the remediation method for a landfill based on mixed ordinal and cardinal information. In I. Linkov, E. Ferguson, V. S. Magar (Eds.), Real-time and deliberative decision making: Application to emerging stressors (pp. 379–396). NATO Science for Peace and Security Series—C: Environmental Security. Springer: Dordreht.Google Scholar
- Lahdelma, R., & Salminen, P. (2008b). Ordinal measurements with interval constraints in the EIA process for siting a waste storage area. In I. Linkov, E. Ferguson, V. S. Magar (Eds.), Real-time and deliberative decision making: Application to emerging stressors (pp. 397–414). NATO Science for Peace and Security Series—C: Environmental Security. Springer: Dordreht.Google Scholar
- Lahdelma, R., & Salminen, P. (2010). Stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis (SMAA). In M. Ehrgott, J. R. Figueira, S. Greco (Eds.), Trends in multiple criteria decision analysis (Vol. 142, pp. 285–316). International Series in Operations Research and Management Science. Springer.Google Scholar
- Lahdelma, R., & Salminen, P. (2016). SMAA in robustness analysis. In M. Doumpos, C. Zopunidis, E. Grigoroudis (Eds.), Robustness analysis in decision aiding, optimization, and analytics (Vol. 241, pp. 1–20). International Series in Operations Research & Management Scienc. Springer.Google Scholar
- Lahdelma, R., Salminen, P., Simonen, A., & Hokkanen, J. (2001). Choosing a reparation method for a landfill using the SMAA-O multicriteria method. In Köksalan, Zionts (Eds.), Multiple criteria decision making in the new millenium (Vol. 507, pp. 380–389). Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems.Google Scholar
- Leskinen, P., Viitanen, J., Kangas, A., & Kangas, J. (2006). Alternatives to incorporate uncertainty and risk attitude in multicriteria evaluation of forest plans. Forest Science, 52(3), 304–312.Google Scholar