Perspectives on Multi-criteria Decision Analysis and Life-Cycle Assessment
This chapter covers the combined use of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) and Life-Cycle Assessment methodologies. It first reviews environmental Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA), introduces the main challenges and perspectives, including how to extend LCA towards Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA), and discusses how LCAs might be useful for the MCDA practitioner. Then, it discusses how MCDA can complement LCA. Challenges and perspectives are presented concerning LCSA, relative versus absolute evaluation, criteria weighting, and criteria selection.
This research was carried out in the framework of the Energy for Sustainability Initiative (EfS) of the University of Coimbra (UC), Portugal, and the MIT-Portugal Program, and was co-funded by FEDER and Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) through projects SABIOS (PTDC/AAG-MAA/6234/2014), STREAMLAB (MIT-EXPL/SUS/0013/2017) and SET-LCA (CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-030570).
- Baudry, G., Macharis, C., & Vallée, T. (2018). Range-based multi-actor multi-criteria analysis: A combined method of multi-actor multi-criteria analysis and monte carlo simulation to support participatory decision making under uncertainty. European Journal of Operational Research, 264, 257–269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2017.06.036.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dias, L. C., & Mousseau, V. (2018). Eliciting multi-criteria preferences: ELECTRE models. In L. C. Dias, A. Morton, & J. Quigley (Eds.), Elicitation—The science and art of structuring judgement (pp. 349–375).Google Scholar
- Dias, L. C., Passeira, C., Malça, J., & Freire, F. (2016). Integrating life-cycle assessment and multi-criteria decision analysis to compare alternative biodiesel chains. The Annals of Operations Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-016-2329-7.
- Dias, L. C., Silva, S., & Alcada-Almeida, L. (2015). Multi-criteria environmental performance assessment with an additive model. In Handbook on methods and applications in environmental studies. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781783474646.
- Du, C. (2017). Environmental and social sustainability of sugarcane production in Brazil: comparing manual and mechanical harvesting. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Coimbra.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2003). Communication from the commission to the council and the European parliament, integrated product policy—Building on environmental life-cycle thinking.Google Scholar
- Guinée, J. (2016). Life cycle sustainability assessment: What is it and what are its challenges? In: Taking stock of industrial ecology (pp. 45–68). Springer International Publishing, Cham.Google Scholar
- Heijungs, R., Guinée, J., Huppes, G., et al. (1992). Environmental life cycle assessment of products. Guide. Report No. 9266. CML, Leiden University.Google Scholar
- Hertwich, E., & Hammitt, J. K. (2001). A decision-analytic framework for impact assessment. Part I: LCA and decision analysis. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 5–12.Google Scholar
- Huijbregts, M. A. J. (2001). Uncertainty and variability in environmental life-cycle assessment. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- ISO. (2006a). ISO 14040: Environmental management—Life cycle assessment—Principles and framework. Geneve: International Organization for Standardization.Google Scholar
- ISO. (2006b). ISO 14044: Environmental management—Life cycle assessment—Requirements and guidelines. Geneve: International Organization for Standardization.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R. L. (1992). Value-focused thinking. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Lerche, N., Wilkens, I., Schmehl, M., et al. (2017). Using methods of multi-criteria decision making to provide decision support concerning local bioenergy projects. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2017.08.002.
- Martín-Gamboa, M., Iribarren, D., García-Gusano, D., & Dufour, J. (2017). A review of life-cycle approaches coupled with data envelopment analysis within multi-criteria decision analysis for sustainability assessment of energy systems. Journal of Cleaner Production, 150, 164–174. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JCLEPRO.2017.03.017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morton, A. (2018). Multiattribute value elicitation. In L. C. Dias, A. Morton, & J. Quigley (Eds.), Elicitation: The science and art structure judgement (pp. 287–311). Springer International Publishing, Cham.Google Scholar
- Myllyviita, T., Leskinen, P., & Seppälä, J. (2014). Impact of normalisation, elicitation technique and background information on panel weighting results in life cycle assessment. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 19, 377–386. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-013-0645-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pizzol, M., Laurent, A., Sala, S., Weidema, B., Verones, F., & Koffler, C. (2017). Normalisation and weighting in life cycle assessment: quo vadis? International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 22(6), 853–866. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-016-1199-1.
- Prado-Lopez, V., Seager, T. P., Chester, M., et al. (2014). Stochastic multi-attribute analysis (SMAA) as an interpretation method for comparative life-cycle assessment (LCA). International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 19, 405–416. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-013-0641-x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Renn, O., Blättel-Mink, B., & Kastenholz, H. (1997). Discursive methods in environmental decision making. Business Strategy and the Environment, 6, 218–231. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0836(199709)6:4%3c218:AID-BSE117%3e3.0.CO;2-G.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spengler, T., Geldermann, J., Hähre, S., et al. (1998). Development of a multiple criteria based decision support system for environmental assessment of recycling measures in the iron and steel making industry. Journal of Cleaner Production, 6, 37–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-6526(97)00048-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Thore, S., & Freire, F. (2002). Ranking the performance of producers in the presence of environmental goals. Technology and commerce (pp. 363–384). US, Boston, MA: Springer.Google Scholar
- Tuomisto, H. L., Hodge, I. D., Riordan, P., & Macdonald, D. W. (2012). Exploring a safe operating approach to weighting in life cycle impact assessment—A case study of organic, conventional and integrated farming systems. Journal of Cleaner Production, 37, 147–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JCLEPRO.2012.06.025.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNEP SETAC. (2016). Global guidance for life cycle impact assessment indicators (Vol. 1). Paris: United Nations Environment Programme.Google Scholar