Development of a Decision-Making Model for Merging Maneuvers: A Game Theoretical Approach
The development of advanced vehicle technologies will bring about new transportation system paradigms. In mixed traffic situations, where both connected automated vehicles (CAVs) and human drivers are present, it is important to first have a firm understanding of human driving behavior. Human driving behavior is complicated and will affect how CAVs need to operate. To come to this understanding, a realistic decision-making modeling framework for lane-changing behavior in human-driven vehicles is needed. Earlier, Kang and Rakha proposed a decision-making model for merging maneuvers at freeway on-ramps using a game theoretical approach (Kang and Rakha, Transp Res Rec J Transp Res Board 2623, 2017). To consider efficient integration within a microscopic traffic simulation modeling framework, this paper further develops the previously proposed model. The Next Generation SIMulation (NGSIM) dataset was used for model evaluation purpose. Validation results revealed that the developed model shows better predictability compared to the previous model.
This research was funded partially by the Mid-Atlantic University Transportation Center (MAUTC) and a gift from the Toyota InfoTechnology Center.
- 1.Ahmed, K.I.: Modeling drivers’ acceleration and lane-changing behavior. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Chatterjee, B.: An optimization formulation to compute Nash equilibrium in finite games. In: Proceeding of International Conference on Methods and Models in Computer Science 2009. IEEE, Piscataway (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.FHWA: Next generation simulation: US 101 freeway dataset. http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficanalysistools/ngsim.htm. Accessed 25 Jan 2016
- 11.Kita, H., Keishi, T., Fukuyama, K.: A game theoretical analysis of merging-giveway interaction: a joint estimation model. In: Taylor, M.A.P. (ed.) Transportation and Traffic Theory in the 21st Century, Adelaide, pp. 503–518 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, H., Xin, W., Adam, Z.M., Ban, J.X.: A game theoretical approach for modeling merging and yielding behavior at freeway on-ramp section. In: Transportation and Traffic Theory, pp. 197–211. Elsevier, London (2007)Google Scholar