Digital Technology in Insurance
Under current conditions a company can rely on maintaining competitive positions only with proper use of information technology. This is important for companies operating in the field of financial intermediation, where it is important to use modern technologies to promote their products, ease the access to users, and accounting in accordance with IFRS and the regulator. The development of IT-technologies is at a high level in the banking and stock business. The insurance business is currently receiving opportunities for a technological breakthrough. The launch of mandatory sales of electronic liability insurance policies for motorists since the beginning of 2017 has accelerated digitization of the insurance market. The share of companies selling online policies increased to 69%. At the same time, an increase in sales of liability insurance electronic policies for motorists will contribute to further multiple increases in the volume of direct insurance. 85% of insurance companies use IT solutions in the sales process. Currently, 75% of insurance companies are engaged in the introduction of new IT products and solutions. Despite of the fact that the launch of electronic liability insurance for motorists has already demanded for significant investments in the development or improvement of IT systems from insurance companies, most of them continue to invest in new technologies. In this regard, this contribution is to study the impact of information technology on the development of direct insurance in Russia. The leading approach in the study was the method of covariance analysis (Ancova model), which allowed taking into account both quantitative and qualitative variables, as well as homogeneous and heterogeneous statistical data. The contribution reveals the relationship between the introduction of electronic policy systems in the company and the amount of insurance premiums. The study covers a group of the largest insurers in Russia. The research materials are of practical importance for insurers, because it gives the concept of a correlation between business digitalization and its level of profitability.
KeywordsDigital technologies Direct insurance Insurance company Internet insurance products
The study is performed according to the Russian Government Program of Competitive Growth of Kazan Federal University.
- 1.Abramovsky A, Kochenburger P (2016) Insurance online: regulation and consumer protection in a cyber world. In: Marano P et al (ed) The “dematerialized” insurance: distance selling and cyber risks from an international perspective, 5th edn. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-28410-1Google Scholar
- 2.Adamova M, Boudet J, Kalaoui H, Segev I (2018) How traditional insurance carriers can disrupt through personalized marketing, August 2018. McKinsey Company. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/financial-services. Accessed 15 Mai 2018
- 6.Electronic technologies in insurance: on the threshold of the epoch online (2018) Rating agency Expert Ra. https://raexpert.ru/researches/insurance. Accessed 15 Mai 2018
- 8.Huckstep R (2017a) Digital transformation is the strategic imperative no insurer can ignore. Digital Insurance 66. https://www.the-digital-insurer.com/blog/insurtech-digital-transformation-strategic-imperative-no-insurer-can-ignore. Accessed 15 Mai 2018
- 9.Huckstep R (2017b) Metromile: the pioneers of digital engagement insurance. Digital Insurance 71. https://www.the-digital-insurer.com/blog/insurtech-metromile-pioneers-engagement-insurance. Accessed 15 Mai 2018
- 13.Mustafina AA, Kaigorodova GN, Pyrkova GK, Alyakina DP, Syvorotkina KA (2017) Sanatorium and resort treatment as a factor of economic development in the republic of Tatarstan. Astra Salvensis 2:267–276. https://astrasalva.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/astra-salvensis-v-2017-supplement-no-2.pdf. Accessed 2 Apr 2018
- 16.Sayfudinova NZ, Safiullin MR, Safiullin AR, Zaimullina MR (2016) Modeling of economic development system of the Russian Federation system. J Econ Econ Educ Res 17(2):334–346. https://www.abacademies.org/articles/jeeer-special-issue-2.pdf. Accessed 6 Mai 2018
- 18.Velichko NY, Kobersy IS, Radina OI, Khnikina TS, Ivashhenko SA (2017) Sales promotion in the marketing communications. Int J Appl Bus Econ Res 15(13):133–142. https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85025430730&partnerID=40&md5=c4525c478a24c2fd3e201ea7cde1d4f1. Accessed 6 Mai 2018
- 19.Wang H-Ch (2016) E-commerce and distribution of insurance products: a few suggestions for an appropriate regulatory infrastructure. In: Marano P et al (ed) The “dematerialized” insurance: distance selling and cyber risks from an international perspective, 2nd edn. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-28410-1. Accessed 6 Mai 2018Google Scholar
- 20.Weingarth J, Hagenschulte J, Schmidt N, Balser M (2018) Building a digitally enabled future: an insurance industry case study on digitalization: How organizations rethink their business for the digital age. In: Urbach N (ed) Digitalization cases, 4th edn. Springer International Publishing, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95273-4_13. Accessed 6 Mai 2018Google Scholar