Experimental Study on Thermal Performance of Low Power SMD LEDs Light Bars: Thermal Resistance Modeling
Thermal management of light sources based on Light Emitting Diodes technology is a fundamental issue that can significantly affect the performance and life time of installed lighting products. By conducting an experimental study, this paper focuses on the vital role of passive cooling method in thermal management of low-power SMD LEDs Light bars. The used approach in this work aims to give an appropriate model to evaluate the thermal resistance of the heat sink. In order to optimize the cooling performance of a heat sink, it is recommended to minimise its thermal resistance as same as improve its cooling capacity since the thermal resistance impact the total resistance of LED package. In addition, the experimental measurements associated to the LEDs’ illuminances and temperature distribution are made using advanced equipment such as digital luxmeter, and IR camera, respectively, which the results are analyzed by Raycam reporting System software in real time.
KeywordsSMD LEDs light bar Thermal resistance Fins heat sink IR camera
The authors gratefully acknowledge the National Center for Scientific and Technical Research (NCSTR) for the financial support offered from their program of excellence research grants (2016 Edition).
- 1.Hsu, Huan-Chu, Huang, Yi-Cheng: Numerical simulation and experimental validation for the thermal analysis of a compact LED recessed downlight with heat sink design. Appl. Sci. 7(4), 1–17 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Raypah, M.E., Devarajan, M., Sulaiman, F.: Influence of injection current and ambient temperature in intensity and wavelength of low-power SMD LED. In: Electronics Manufacturing Technology (IEMT) & 18th Electronics Materials and Packaging (EMAP) Conference, 2016 IEEE 37th International. pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Sheu, G.-J., Hwu, F.-S., Tu,S.-H., et al.: The heat dissipation performance of LED applied a MHP. In: Fifth International Conference on Solid State Lighting. International Society for Optics and Photonics, p. 594113. (Sep 2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Sergent, J.E, Krum, A.: Thermal Management Handbook: for Electronic Assemblies. McGraw-Hill Professional (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.SMD LED datasheet: http://www.betlux.com, last accessed 2018/06/08
- 16.Thomas, A., Nair, A.S.: Experimental study on the effect of junction temperature on power LED’S. Int. J. Curr. Eng. Sci. Res. 2(9), 14–19 (2015)Google Scholar