Assortment Size and Space
With the rise of online, the role of assortment may have become more important for retailers than location and pricing. When it comes to assortment size, suppliers, retailers and shoppers have sometimes conflicting interests. Retailers need to consider shopper restrictions due to cognitive choice and visual capabilities. Solution could be assortment reduction and Berkhout gives many practical examples to make that work. Key to the solution is that the perceived assortment variety is more important than actual size. Finally, Berkhout discusses academic studies that show the limited impact of space elasticities and the effects of “white” space on product aesthetics.
- Broniarczyk, S., Hoyer, W. D., & McAlister, L. (1998). Consumers’ Perceptions of the Assortment Offered in a Grocery Category: The Impact of Item Reduction. Journal of Marketing Research, XXXV, 166–176.Google Scholar
- Brown, D. J. (1978). An Examination of Consumer Grocery Store Choice: Considering the Attraction of Size and the Friction of Travel Time. Advances in Consumer Research, 5, 243–246.Google Scholar
- Iyengar, S. (2011). The Art of Choosing: The Decisions We Make Every Day of Our Lives, What They Say About Us and How We Can Improve Them. London: Abacus.Google Scholar
- Kahneman, D. (2011). Thinking, Fast and Slow. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Rolls, B. J., Rowe, E. A., Rolls, E. T., Kingston, B., Megson, A., & Gunary, R. (1981). Variety in a Meal Enhances Food Intake in Man. Psychology & Behavior, 26, 215–221.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, B. (2004). The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less. New York: Harper Perennial.Google Scholar
- Scrapehero. (2018). [Online]. Retrieved February 14, 2018, from https://www.scrapehero.com/many-products-amazon-sell-january-20198/.
- Survata. (2017, December 20). [Online]. Retrieved September 30, 2018, from https://www.survata.com/blog/amazon-takes-49-percent-of-consumers-first-product-search-but-search-engines-rebound/.
- United Nations. (2018, May 16). 2018 Revision of World Urbanization Prospects. [Online]. Retrieved August 1, 2018, from https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/population/2018-revision-of-world-urbanization-prospects.html.
- Van Nierop, E., Fok, D., & Franses, P. H. (2006). Interaction between Shelf Layout and Marketing Effectiveness and Its Impact on Optimizing Shelf Arrangements, Erasmus Research Institute of Management, ERS-2006-013-MKT.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia. (2018). The Number of Photoreceptor Cells. [Online]. Retrieved February 18, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreceptor_cell.
- Wiseman, R. (2007). International Experiment Proves Pace of Life Is Speeding Up by 10 Percent, Press Release British Council, Issued 25 March 2007.Google Scholar