What Percentage of Travelers Are Writing Hotel Reviews?
Researchers have been using hotel reviews databases as a source of information, publishing hundreds of papers during the last decade with data from TripAdvisor, Booking.com and similar websites. This paper uses a sample of customers from a universe of guests, but there is no information about the percentage of review writers in relation to number of bookings. However, this issue is relevant in determining the reliability of results and conclusions when using this type of data. We perform an analysis about “participation rates” and “response rates” in these surveys, both on TripAdvisor and on Booking.com for a sample of Spanish hotels, obtaining the first reliable estimates about the percentage of travelers writing reviews. Results show important variations among hotels based on their level of activity on TripAdvisor and the number of reviews in English. The research is also able to identify a relationship between participation rate for each hotel and the average rating obtained in TripAdvisor, which is stronger than the previously assessed relation between the number of reviews and the average rating by Melián, Bulchand-Gidumal, & González López-Valcárcel (Cornell Hosp Q 54: 274–283, 2013).
- Chiappa, G. D., & Dall’Aglio, S. (2012). Factors influencing Travellers’ e-Ratings and e-Complaints about hotel services: Insights from an Italian tourism destination. In Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2012 (pp. 448–459). Springer: Vienna. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7091-1142-0_39.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Christou, E., Sigala, M., & Gretzel, U. (2012). Social media in travel, tourism and hospitality: Theory, practice and cases (Edición: 1.). Farnham, Surrey, Burlington, VT: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cohen, E. (1972). Toward a sociology of international tourism. Social Research, 164–182.Google Scholar
- Cunningham, P., Smyth, B., Wu, G., & Greene, D. (2010). Does tripadvisor makes hotels better. School of Computer Science & Informatics, University College Dublin, Technical Report UCD-CSI-2010-06, pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Dichter, E. (1966). How word-of-mouth advertising works. Harvard Business Review, 44(6), 147–160.Google Scholar
- Gretzel, U., & Yoo, K. H. (2008). Use and impact of online travel reviews. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, 2008, 35–46.Google Scholar
- Hine, C. (2000). Virtual ethnography. Sage.Google Scholar
- Hong, J.-Y., & Lee, W.-N. (2008). Consumer complaint behavior in the online environment. In Web Systems Design and Online Consumer Behaviour (Gao, Y., pp. 1607–1619). New Jersey: Idea Group Inc (IGI).Google Scholar
- Hunter, M. (2012). TripAdvisor scolded by UK ad regulator for ‘trust’ claims. In CNN Travel. https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tripadvisor-advertising-uk/index.html. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- INE. (2017). Hotel Occupancy Survey. Instituto Nacional de Estadística of Spain. http://www.ine.es/dynt3/inebase/en/index.htm?padre=238&dh=1. Accessed 18 January 2018.
- Mann, C., & Stewart, F. (2000). Internet communication and qualitative research: A handbook for research online. JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/42858229.pdf. Accessed 19 July 2017.
- McEvilly, B. (2015). How online review sites are affecting your hotel. In Hospitality Net. https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4070901.html. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- Mellinas, J. P., Martínez María-Dolores, S. M., & Bernal García, J. J. (2015a). El control de irregularidades y TripAdvisor. TURyDES, 8(18).Google Scholar
- Murphy, C. (2017). Report: 78% of all online hotel reviews come from the top four sites. In Revinate. https://learn.revinate.com/blog/report-78-of-all-online-hotel-reviews-come-from-the-top-four-sites. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- O’reilly, T. (2005). What is web 2.0. https://books.google.es/books?hl=es&lr=&id=DDI_XTmXI3MC&oi=fnd&pg=PA225&dq=web+2.0&ots=3Gv3Sue7n9&sig=3yDVmupP51H4EiormcyrnrD2kBQ. Accessed 19 July 2017.
- Pal, S. K., & Mishra, P. (2017). Portfolio of online distribution channels across mid-market hotels: An evaluative review. Enlightening Tourism, 7(1), 19–35.Google Scholar
- Paris, N. (2013). London is TripAdvisor’s most reviewed city. In The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/London-is-TripAdvisors-most-reviewed-city/. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- PATA. (2014). Shangri-La Hotels and resorts study shows review collection partnership with TripAdvisor leads to more reviews and higher ratings. Pacific Asia Travel Association. https://www.pata.org/shangri-la-hotels-and-resorts-study-shows-review-collection-partnership-with-tripadvisor-leads-to-more-reviews-and-higher-ratings/. Accessed 18 January 2018.
- Resnick, P., & Zeckhauser, R. (2002). Trust among strangers in Internet transactions: Empirical analysis of eBay’s reputation system. In The Economics of the Internet and E-commerce (pp. 127–157). Emerald Group Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Revinate. (2014). Revinate announces results of TripAdvisor review collection partnership. In Revinate. https://www.revinate.com/es/blog/2014/10/revinate-announces-results-tripadvisor-review-collection-partnership/. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- Ricci, F., & Wietsma, R. T. (2006). Product reviews in travel decision making. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, 2006, 296–307.Google Scholar
- Schegg, R. (2016). European hotel distribution study. Results for the reference year 2015. In OEHV.AT. https://www.oehv.at/Lobbying/Tourismusmarkt-Osterreich/Hotrec-Umfrage-Hoteldistribution/final_public_schegg_2016_european_hotel_distributi.aspx. Accessed 19 July 2017.
- Stanisic, N. (2016). Recent trends in quantitative research in the field of tourism and hospitality (SSRN Scholarly Paper No. ID 2875849). Rochester, NY: Social Science Research Network.Google Scholar
- Talluri, K. T., & Van Ryzin, G. J. (2006). The theory and practice of revenue management (Vol. 68). Springer.Google Scholar
- TripAdvisor (2013). TripAdvisor popularity ranking: Key factors and how to improve. In TripAdvisor Insights. https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/w722 Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- TripAdvisor (2014). 24 insights to shape your TripAdvisor strategy. In TripAdvisor Insights. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TripAdvisorInsights/n2120/24-insights-shape-your-tripadvisor-strategy?language=en-GB. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- TripAdvisor (2016). Everything you need to know about the TripAdvisor popularity ranking algorithm. In TripAdvisor Insights. https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/w765. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- Whitty, M. T., & Joinson, A. (2008). Truth, lies and trust on the Internet (1 ed.). London, New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Yoo, K. H., & Gretzel, U. (2008). The influence of involvement on use and impact of online travel reviews. In Hospitality Information Technology Association (HITA) Conference (pp. 15–16).Google Scholar
- Yoo, K.-H., Lee, Y., Gretzel, U., & Fesenmaier, D. R. (2009). Trust in travel-related consumer generated media. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, 2009, 49–59.Google Scholar