Enhanced Anti-stokes Raman Gain in Nonlinear Waveguides
We show that, under certain conditions, modulation instability in nonlinear waveguides gives rise to the usual double-sideband spectral structure, but with a Raman gain profile. This process is enabled by the energy transfer from a strong laser pump to both Stokes and anti-Stokes sidebands in a pseudo-parametric fashion. We believe this striking behavior to be of particular value in the area of Raman-based sensors which rely on sensitive measurements of the anti-Stokes component.
We gratefully acknowledge financial support from ONR Global through the Visiting Scientists Program.
- 1.G. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics, 5th edn. Optics and Photonics (Academic Press, London, 2012)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Tai, A. Hasegawa, A. Tomita, Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 135 (1986). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.56.135
- 6.A. Demircan, U. Bandelow, Opt. Commun. 244(1), 181 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.J.M. Dudley, G. Genty, F. Dias, B. Kibler, N. Akhmediev, Opt. Express 17(24), 21497 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.17.021497
- 8.D. Solli, C. Ropers, P. Koonath, B. Jalali, Nature 450(7172), 1054 (2007)Google Scholar