A Semantico-Syntactic Disambiguation System of Arabic Movement and Speech Verbs and Their Automatic Translation to French Using NooJ
In this paper, we propose a rule-based method whose purpose is to remove the semantico-syntactic ambiguity of Arabic movement and speech verbs and to translate different disambiguated verbs into the French language. This method consists of two main phases: a phase of semantico-syntactic disambiguation and a phase of automatic translation from Arabic to French.
The semantico-syntactic disambiguation phase can be subdivided into three main steps. The first step is to analyze and adapt the syntactic patterns used for nominal sentences. The second step is to identify a dictionary of Arabic movement and speech verbs and a dictionary of Arabic names based on syntactic patterns. As for the third step, it consists in identifying the disambiguation transducers based on the identified dictionaries, a morphological grammar and syntactic patterns. These transducers make it possible to remove the ambiguity of the verb by assigning it an Arabic meaning.
The purpose of the automatic translation phase is to improve the phase of semantico-syntactic disambiguation since the assignment of an Arabic meaning to a verb is not always sufficient to disambiguate it. This phase is based on the identifying of translation transducers based on the treatment of some problems related to the translation from the Arabic language to the French language, the identified dictionary of Arabic movement and speech verbs and a dictionary of French verbs.
The ideas of the proposed approach were validated by a prototype implemented in JAVA and using the NooJ platform.
The experimentation of the two phases enabled us, on the one hand, to test the feasibility of the realized system and secondly, to discern the limits encountered. Metrics of evaluation: F-measure, Precision and Recall allowed us to evaluate the phase of disambiguation. The comparative study with other famous translators supporting the Arabic language such as Google, Reverso and Babylon showed us that the prototype gave satisfactory results.
KeywordsSemantico-syntactic disambiguation Automatic translation Arabic language NooJ
- Bouhriz, N., Benabbou, F., Ben Lahmar, E.: Désambiguïsation sémantique de l’arabe basée sur WordNet. In: 4th Day on Information and Modeling Technologies, TIM 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- Brun, C., Jacquemin, B., Segond, F.: Exploitation de dictionnaires électroniques pour la désambiguïsation sémantique lexicale. TAL 42(3/2001), 667–691 (2005)Google Scholar
- Fehri, H., Zaidi, M., Boudhina, K.: Création d’un dictionnaire des verbes NooJ open source pour la langue Arabe. Report of the end of studies project. Higher Institute of Management of Gabes (2016)Google Scholar
- Fehri, H.: Reconnaissance automatique des entités nommées arabes et leur traduction vers le français. Ph.D. thesis, University of Franche-Comté and University of Sfax (Tunisia) (2012)Google Scholar
- Gaume, B., Hathout, N., Muller, P.: Désambiguïsation par proximité structurelle. TALN, Fes (2004)Google Scholar
- Merhbene, L., Zouaghi, A., Zrigui, M.: Approche basée sur les arbres sémantiques pour la désambiguïsation lexicale de la langue arabe en utilisant une procédure de vote. In: 21st Automatic Processing of Natural Languages, Marseille (2014)Google Scholar
- Trouilleux, F.: Le DM, a French dictionary for NooJ. In: Proceedings of the 2011 International NooJ Conference (2011)Google Scholar