Standard Shari’ah Regulatory Frameworks of Cryptocurrency
In recent years, it has been observed that the research on cryptocurrency has taken its place in many countries. But the same has not been experienced yet under the Shari’ah principles, mainly because there are still ongoing debates regarding the permissibility (Halal), non-permissibility (Haram), Grarar (uncertainty), and Gash (deceiving) in this platform and its transactions. Some countries recognize the platform, while some are still with reservation in dealing with cryptocurrency. Despite various approaches by many scholars in dealing with the cryptocurrency issues, the regulatory bodies do not deny the need to regulate this platform to ensure that the aspect of risk and malpractices could be minimized.
KeywordsCryptocurrency Regulatory frameworks Shari’ah Global
- Arjun Kharpal. Abu Dhabi Regulates ICOs for Cryptocurrency Funding—But Warns of ‘Many Risks’. Available at https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/09/abu-dhabi-regulates-icos-for-cryptocurrency-company-funding.html. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- David Ramm, Jack Shawdon, and Philip Stone. A Guide to International Regulation of Cryptocurrencies. Available at https://www.morganlewis.com/-/media/files/publication/outside-publication/article/2018/law360_a-guide-to-international-regulation-of-cryptocurrencies_30jan18.ashx?la=en&hash=253F0508F41AE9B2731A3F24EDB0B1BF92454C16. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Digital Currency. Available at https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/payment/digital-currency.html. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Digital Currency from Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. Available at https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/payment/digital-currency.html. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Doles Silva. Cryptocurrencies and International Regulation. Available at https://www.uncitral.org/pdf/english/congress/Papers_for_Congress/29-DOLES_SILVA-Cryptocurrencies_and_International_Regulation.pdf. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Guidance Note on the Japanese Virtual Currency Legislation and Overview on Registration Requirement Thereunder. Available at http://www.so-law.jp/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Japanese_VC_Act_and_Registration-Overview_170704.pdf. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Faraz Adam. Bitcoin: Shariah Compliant? Available at http://darulfiqh.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Research-Paper-on-Bitcoin-Mufti-Faraz-Adam.pdf. Accessed on 10 March 2018.
- Introduction and Computation: Chargeable Assets: Intangible assets: Cryptocurrencies. Available at https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg12100. Accessed on 30 March 2018.
- Luqman Nurhisam. Bitcoin Dalam Kacamata Hukum Islam. Ar-Raniry: International Journal of Islamic Studies, vol. 4, no. 1, Juni 2017, 184.Google Scholar
- New Payment Products and Systems: Mitigating the Risk of Finance’s New Wild West. Available at https://application-production.cdn.ranenetwork.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/24102341/GIC_NewPaymentProducts_TL_1013.ashx_.pdf. Accessed on 30 April 2018.
- Revenue and Customs Brief 9. (2014). Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies. Accessed on 30 March 2018.