Shari’ah Code of Ethics in Cryptocurrency
The world of this contemporary era witnesses the Cryptocurrency revolution began in recent years. Noting that facilitating ease is desired by Allah (swt) and that Cryptocurrency seems to be doing this. In any chapter of life, the normative observation by complying the standard etiquette is among the prime concern thus, the Cryptocurrency in the eyes of Shari’ah is no exception and hence, it has to comply with the divine code of ethics within the ambit of Maqasid al-Shari’ah. This chapter proceeds to look at how Cryptocurrency is created and managed as well as analyzes the ethical considerations that arise when the whole Cryptocurrency system is analyzed, this, especially in light of the Shari’ah code of ethics. Issues about the lack of central control and government influence are looked at in view of its potential to make Cryptocurrency more risky. Major concepts like the prohibition of gambling and Garar, equity, harm to the environment and other negative aspects of the Cryptocurrency are equally analyzed. Finally, the paper looks at the way forward and gives recommendations as well as summarizes the issue at hand in the conclusion.
KeywordsShari’ah code Ethics Cryptocurrency Guidelines
- Acheson, Noelle (2018) “How Bitcoin Mining Works.”Google Scholar
- Akhter Uddin, Mohammed (2015) “Principles of Islamic Finance, Riba, Gharar and Maysir.” p. 4.Google Scholar
- Ali Sulaiman, M. A. B., Hisam, Mohammed W., and Sanyal, Shouvik (2014) “Ethical Business Practices in Islam.” SMS VARANASI, vol. VI, no. 2, p. 24.Google Scholar
- Al Muwatta 1614.Google Scholar
- al-Qur’an 3:110.Google Scholar
- Ashok, India, BitCoin? Top Imam Says Bitcoin Forbidden Under Islam, Compares It to Gambling. https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bitcoin-fatwa-top-imam-says-cryptocurrency-forbidden-under-islam-compares-it-gambling-1653529.
- Business and Economy (2018) Al Jazeera, “Islam and Cryptocurrency, Halal or Not Halal?” Google Scholar
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations. https://coinmarketcap.com.
- D’Alfonso, Alexander, Langer, Peter, and Vandelis, Zintis (2016) “The Future of Cryptocurrency: An Investor’s Comparison of Bitcoin and Ethereum.”Google Scholar
- Ghani, Hafiz Abdul (2011) “Urf-o-Adah (Custom and Usage) as a Source of Islamic Law.” p. 183.Google Scholar
- “Islam and Cryptocurrency, Halal or Not Halal?” Al Jazeera. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/islam-cryptocurrency-halal-halal-180408145004684.html.
- Izzi deen, Mawil Y. (2005) “Islamic Environmental Ethics, Law, and Society.” Google Scholar
- Jenkinson, Gareth (2017) “How DDOS Attacks Affects Bitcoin Exchanges.”Google Scholar
- Malanov, Alexey (2017) “Problems and Risks of Cryptocurrencies.”Google Scholar
- Marjan, Mohammed (2017) “Shari’ah Analysis of Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin.” Presented at the Shari’ah Fintech Forum (SFF), Hilton Hotel, Petaling Jaya.Google Scholar
- Mufti Abu-Bakr, Mohammed (2017a) “Shari’ah Analysis of Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain.”Google Scholar
- Mufti Abu-Bakr, Mohammed (2017b) “Shari’ah Analysis of Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain.” p. 16.Google Scholar
- Mufti Abu-Bakr, Mohammed (2017c) “Shari’ah Analysis of Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain.” p. 17.Google Scholar
- Roberts, Jeff John (2017) “Does Bitcoin Have a Mining Monopoly Problem?” Fortune. http://fortune.com/2017/08/25/bitcoin-mining/.
- Shane, Daniel (2017) “Bitcoin Boom May Be a Disaster for the Environment.” http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/technology/bitcoin-energy-environment/index.html.
- Sulleyman, Aatif (2018) “Bitcoin Price Is so High Because Criminals Are Using It for Illegal Trades, Research Suggests.” Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-price-fall-criminals-blockchain-anonymous-cryptocurrency-zcash-monero-dash-a8174716.html.
- Thailand First Country to Ban Digital Currency Bitcoin. http://investvine.com/thailand-first-country-to-ban-digital-currency-bitcoin/.
- Thomson Reuters Responsible Finance Report (2015) “The Emerging Convergence of SRI, ESG and Islamic Finance.”Google Scholar
- Tirmidhi Hadith 1272.Google Scholar
- Uzair, Mohammed (1982) “Central Banking Operations in an Interest Free Banking System.”Google Scholar