Benefits of a Fog-to-Cloud Approach in Proximity Marketing
The EC H2020 mF2C Project is working to the development of a software framework that enables the orchestration of resources and communication at fog level, as an extension of cloud computing and interacting with the IoT. In order to show the project functionalities and added-values three real world use cases have been chosen. This paper introduces one of the mF2C use cases: Smart Fog Hub Service (SFHS) use case, in the context of an airport, with the objective of proving that the adoption of the fog-to-cloud approach brings relevant benefits in terms of performance and optimization of resource usage, thus giving an objective evidence of the impact of the mF2C framework.
KeywordsCloud computing Fog computing Fog-to-cloud Distributed systems IoT Proximity marketing 3G 4G/LTE Wi-Fi
This work is supported by the H2020 mF2C project (730929).
- 1.Boston Consulting: Internet of things market to reach \$267b by 2020. https://iotsources.com/applications/iot-market-to-reach-267b-by-2020-use-cases-drive-demand/
- 2.IATA: 2036 forecast reveals air passengers will nearly double to 7.8 billion (2017). http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2017-10-24-01.aspx
- 3.McKinsey Global Institute: The internet of things: mapping the value. https://tinyurl.com/y7dmutgz
- 4.McKinsey Global Institute: What’s new with the internet of things? https://tinyurl.com/y8fk4sft
- 5.Lordan, F., Lezzi, D., Ejarque, J., Badia, R.M.: An architecture for programming distributed applications on fog to cloud systems. In: Heras, D.B., Bougé, L. (eds.) Euro-Par 2017. LNCS, vol. 10659, pp. 325–337. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-75178-8_27CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Masip-Bruin, X., et al.: mF2C: towards a coordinated management of the IoT-fog-cloud continuum. In: Proceedings of the ACM Smartobjects 2018 (MobiHoc) Conference (2018). https://doi.org/10.1145/3213299.3213307