Sports Footwear: Problems and Advances
Sports footwear has evolved significantly in the past decades. Footwear innovations provided more comfort and performance improvement both for the professional and amateur athlete. With new technologies being developed every year, it is challenging for the general physician to keep updated with the literature. However, as the knowledge regarding sports footwear evolves, athletes become more demanding, aiming for optimal performance. Therefore, it is essential that the sports physician be capable of prescribing the most appropriate sports footwear according to the athlete’s specific needs and expectations.
KeywordsPhysical activity Running injury Minimalist shoe Footwear Running Biomechanics
- 2.LeCursi N. Sports shoes and orthoses. In:DeLee & Drez’s orthopaedic sports medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2014. p. 1384–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-1-4557-4376-6.00115-3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Elftman H. The transverse tarsal joint and its control. Clin Orthop. 1960;16:41–6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13819895.
- 14.Malisoux L, Chambon N, Delattre N, Gueguen N, Urhausen A, Theisen D. Injury risk in runners using standard or motion control shoes: a randomised controlled trial with participant and assessor blinding. Br J Sports Med. 2016;50(8):481–7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2015-095031.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Fuller JT, Thewlis D, Buckley JD, Brown NAT, Hamill J, Tsiros MD. Body mass and weekly training distance influence the pain and injuries experienced by runners using minimalist shoes: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med. 2017;45(5):1162–70. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546516682497.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Lucas-Cuevas AG, Priego Quesada JI, Giménez JV, Aparicio I, Jimenez-Perez I, Pérez-Soriano P. Initiating running barefoot: effects on muscle activation and impact accelerations in habitually rearfoot shod runners. Eur J Sport Sci. 2016;16(8):1145–52. https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2016.1197317.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Salzler MJ, Kirwan HJ, Scarborough DM, Walker JT, Guarino AJ, Berkson EM. Injuries observed in a prospective transition from traditional to minimalist footwear: correlation of high impact transient forces and lower injury severity. Phys Sportsmed. 2016;44(4):373–9. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913847.2016.1238282.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar