Long-Reach PON Based on SSB Modulated Frequency-Shifted QAM and Low-Cost Direct-Detection Receiver with Kramers–Kronig Scheme
As PON systems move towards terabit/s aggregated data rates with longer transmission distance, optical coherent receivers become preferred due to their high tolerance to power fading from fiber transmission. To solve the high complexity and high cost problems of optical coherent receivers, a scheme for complex QAM signal transmission with simple direct detection is recommended in this paper. The scheme based on optical SSB modulation with frequency-shifted QAM signals and low-cost single-ended PD provides an efficient low-cost solution for long reach coherent PON. Due to its minimum phase property of the optical SSB modulated signal, Kramers-Kronig scheme can be used to reconstruct the complex QAM signal from the received intensity signal. The efficiency of the proposed scheme is validated by both numerical simulations and experiments for both QPSK and 16-QAM modulated signals. By using standard commercially available components, the experiments demonstrated that the combination of SSB modulation of frequency-shifted QAM signal and its single-ended PD receiver with KK scheme can support SSMF transmission over 75 km for both QPSK and 16-QAM signals with receiver optical power penalty less than 1.5 dB.
KeywordsFiber optics communication Modulation Optical communications
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (#61471088).
- 3.Lavery, D., Sezer, E., Polina, B., et al.: Recent progress and outlook for coherent PON. In: Optical Fiber Communication Conference, pp. M3B.1. Optical Society of America, San Diego, California (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Matsumoto, R., Keisuke, M., Suzuki, N.: Fast, Low-complexity widely-linear compensation for IQ imbalance in burst-mode 100-Gb/s/λ coherent TDM-PON. In: Optical Fiber Communication Conference, pp. M3B.2. Optical Society of America, San Diego, California (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, D., Kim, B.G., Kim, H.: 60-km transmission of 28-Gb/s QPSK upstream signal in RSOA-based WDM PON using SBS suppression technique. In: Optical Fiber Communication Conference, pp. W4G.4. Optical Society of America, San Diego, California (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, M., Xu, B., Guo, Q., et al.: Study and comparison of low cost intensity modulation direct detection radio over fiber systems. In: Asia Communications and Photonics Conference 2016, pp. AF2A.86. Optical Society of America, Wuhan (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, X.L., Zhang, C.F., Chen, C., et al.: Non-optical carrier SSB-OFDM PONs with the improved receiver sensitivity and potential transmission nonlinearity tolerance. IEEE Photonics J. 9(1), 1–10 (2017)Google Scholar