User Assisted Dynamic RAN Notification Area Configuration Scheme for 5G Inactive UEs
The new radio resource control inactive state has become the main status of user equipments (UEs) in 5G networks, because of its low power consumption and energy saving features. To deal with the massive signaling overhead in 5G networks, in this paper, we introduce a UE assisted dynamic RAN notification area (RNA) configuration scheme to effectively reducing the paging and the RNA update overhead of inactive UEs. Especially, UEs are divided into two categories, namely, the speed-priority type and the rate-priority type based on their communication rate, mobility, as well as the location. Accordingly, we further extensively investigate the dynamic RNA configuration update process in both the theoretical and the practical manner. The performance of proposed schemes is evaluated via simulations and the results demonstrate the effectiveness and the efficiency in achieving the design goals, which could achieve a considerable performance improvement with respect to schemes in literatures.
KeywordsSmall cell 5G Inactive state RAN notification area
- 2.Da Silva, I.L., Mildh, G., Saily, M., Hailu, S.: A novel state model for 5G radio access networks. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC), PP. 632–637. Kuala Lumpur (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Hailu, S., Saily, M.: Hybrid paging and location tracking scheme for inactive 5G UEs. In: 2017 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), pp. 1–6. Oulu (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Razavi, S.M., Yuan, D., Gunnarsson, F., Moe, J.: Dynamic tracking area list configuration and performance evaluation in LTE. In: IEEE Globecom Workshops, pp. 49–53. Miami (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Widaa, L.O., Sharif, S.M.: Effect of tracking area list overlapping in reducing overall signaling overhead in long term evolution system. In: 2015 International Conference on Computing, Control, Networking, Electronics and Embedded Systems Engineering (ICCNEEE), pp. 397–400. Khartoum (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.RAN3, LS on definition of RAN notification area in inactive state. 3GPP R2 WG, Tdoc R2–1710036 (2017)Google Scholar