Joint QoS-Aware Downlink and Resource Allocation for Throughput Maximization in Narrow-Band IoT with NOMA
Narrow-Band Internet of Things (NB-IoT) is 3GPPs cellular technology designed for Low-Power Wide Area Network (LPWN) and it is a promising approach that NB-IoT combines with NOMA which is designed for accommodating more devices in the 5G era. Previous works mainly focus on uplink channel resource allocation to achieve connectivity maximization in NB-IoT with NOMA; however, few articles consider NB-IoT downside issues and downlink resource allocation problem to achieve maximum system throughput has not been studied in NB-IoT with NOMA. Thus, in this paper to provide a reliable and seamless service for NB-IoT users (NUs) and maximizing network downlink throughput, we propose a resource allocation algorithm for joint equipment QoS requirements and resource allocation fairness. In this scheme, we design algorithm to implement the mapping between NUs and subchannels for suboptimal system throughput. Then we convert the power allocation problem of the NUs on the same subchannel into a DC problem and we design algorithm to solve it to get suboptimal solution. Numerical results show that the proposed scheme achieves a better performance compared with exiting schemes in terms of the system throughput.
KeywordsNarrow band internet of things Downlink resource allocation algorithm Quality of service (QoS) Throughput maximization
This paper is sponsored by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant 61671088 and 61771070).
- 1.Ericsson, O.: Technical report. White Paper, Cellular networks for massive IoT: enabling low power wide area applications (2016). https://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/whitepapers/wp_iot.pdf
- 2.Poursafar, N., Alahi, M.E.E., Mukhopadhyay, S.: Long-range wireless technologies for IoT applications: a review. In: 2017 Eleventh International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST), Dec 2017, pp. 1–6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.White Paper, O.: Narrowband IoT groundbreaking in the internet of things (2016). https://iot.t-mobile.nl/downloads/NB-IoTDTAG.pdf
- 4.Beyene, Y.D., Jantti, R., Ruttik, K., Iraji, S.: On the performance of narrow-band internet of things (NB-IoT). In: 2017 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), March 2017, pp. 1–6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhao, Y., Liu, K., Yan, H., Huang, L.: A classification back-off method for capacity optimization in NB-IoT random access. In: 2017 11th IEEE International Conference on Anti-counterfeiting, Security, and Identification (ASID), Oct 2017, pp. 104–108 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Abdelbaky, A., Mostafa, H.: New low area NB-IoT turbo encoder interleaver by sharing resources. In: 2017 29th International Conference on Microelectronics (ICM), Dec 2017, pp. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Mostafa, A.E., Zhou, Y., Wong, Y.W.S.: Connectivity maximization for narrowband IoT systems with NOMA. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), May 2017, pp. 1–6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Boisguene, R., Tseng, S.C., Huang, C.W., Lin, P.: A survey on NB-IoT downlink scheduling: issues and potential solutions. In: 2017 13th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), June 2017, pp. 547–551 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Cellular system support for ultra-low complexity and low throughput internet of things (CIoT). 3GPP Technical report (TR), v 13.1.0 Release 13 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Li, B., Qu, Q., Yan, Z., Yang, M.: Survey on OFDMA based MAC protocols for the next generation WLAN. In: 2015 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Workshops (WCNCW), March 2015, pp. 131–135 (2015)Google Scholar