A 3D Canopy Reconstruction and Phenotype Analysis Method for Wheat
A high precise and high realistic three-dimensional wheat canopy model is important in modern agriculture. In this paper, we proposed a 3D reconstruction and quantitative calculation for phenotype analysis method for wheat. First, we made use of a 3D digitizer to acquire spatial structure and distribution data of wheat canopy. After data processing, we constructed three-dimensional organ models including stalks, leaves and others, based on a surface modeling algorithm. Under this process, we constructed a 3D canopy model by frames of wheat colony. Furthermore, we made phenotype analyses on structure and organs distribution features including leaf length, azimuth and obliquity values. By use of constructed 3D canopy model, we used a light distribution computing algorithm to analyze the potential light interception, and we also calculated interception in different layers and different organs. The synchronous light intensity and leaf area index (LAI) measured by a PAR device were used to compare and examine the constructed canopy models. We also compute macroscopic canopy attributes including leaf area, leaf area index, projection area, shading area, and so on. Finally, parts of experimental results are shown, and the results show that our method is feasible and effective for wheat as well as other similar crops. At the end, the main contributions and limitations are also discussed, and some future works are addressed.
KeywordsWheat Canopy reconstruction 3D Phenotype analysis Light distribution
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61300079); by Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Project (Grant No. D151100004215004); by Creative Team Project of Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Science (Grant No. JNKYT201604).
- 3.Guo, Y., Li, B.: Progress in virtual plant research. Chin. Sci. Bull. 46(4), 273–280 (2001). (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhao, C.J., Lu, S.L., Guo, X.Y., et al.: Exploration of digital plant and its technology system. Sci. Agric. Sin. 43(10), 2023–2030 (2010). (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Fournier, C., Andrieu, B., Ljutovac, S., et al.: ADEL-wheat: a 3D architectural model of wheat development. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Plant Growth Modeling, Simulation, Visualization, and their Applications, pp. 54–63. Tsinghua University Press/Springer, Beijing (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Burgess, A.J., Retkute, R., Pound, M.P., et al.: Image-based 3D canopy reconstruction to determine potential productivity in complex multi-species crop systems. Ann. Bot. 119, 517–532 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Wen, W., Meng, J., Guo, X., et al.: Calculation system of light distribution within crop canopy based on radiosity methods. Trans. Chin. Soc. Agric. Mach. 40(S1), 190–193 (2009)Google Scholar