Multi-scale 3D Data Acquisition of Maize
In recent years, three-dimensional (3D) data acquisition and model reconstruction of plants have been developed as a hot topic of plant scientific researches. However, the morphological structure of plants is very complex and it is hard to describe the details. The data acquisition approaches are diverse for different parts of plants. This study introduces the data acquisition methods of different scales of maize. The grain, leaf and ear, individual plant and maize colony represents the target models for different scales. 3D data acquisition instruments are used to acquire the morphometric of each target. It is found that the organ scale is the simplest to obtain and process. The smallest grain needs high-resolution scanner to acquire the morphological details, while the plant canopy is the hardest one for point cloud process and modeling. The data and reconstructed models are oriented to digital plant, phenotyping analysis, FSPMs research, and popular science education application.
KeywordsMaize Three-dimensional scanning Three-dimensional point cloud Phenotypic
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31601215), the Natural Science Foundation of Beijing Municipality (4162028), the Beijing Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences Youth Research Fund (QNJJ201625), and the Scientific and Technological Innovation Team of Beijing Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences (JNKYT201604).
- 2.Zhao, C., Lu, S., Guo, X., Xiao, B., Wen, W.: Exploration of digital plant and its technology system. Sci. Agr. Sinica 43(10), 2023–2030 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Henke, M., Kurth, W., Buck-Sorlin, G.H.: FSPM-P: towards a general functional-structural plant model for robust and comprehensive model development. Front. Comput. Sci. 6, 1–15 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Wen, W., Guo, X., Lu, X., Wang, Y., Zhao, D., Liao, W.: Three-dimensional template resource library construction of maize organs. Trans. CSAM 47(8), 266–272 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Xiao, B., Wen, W., Guo, X.: Digital plant colony modeling based on 3D digitization. ICIC Express Lett. Part B, Appl. 2(6), 1363–1367 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Wang, Y., Wen, W.L., Guo, X., Zhao, C.J.: Three-dimensional reconstruction of plant leaf blade based on point cloud data. J. Agr. Sci. Tech. 16(5), 83–89 (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Wen, W., et al.: Geometric modeling of maize ear based on three dimensional point cloud. J. Agr. Sci. Tech. 18(5), 88–93 (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.Guo, Q., et al.: Crop 3D: a platform based on LiDAR for 3D high-throughput crop phenotyping. Sci. Sinica 46(10), 1210–1221 (2016)Google Scholar
- 23.Wu, C.: VisualSFM: a visual structure from motion system (2011)Google Scholar