Measurement of Residual Strain in the Cylinder Bridge of High-Pressure Die Cast A383 Engine Blocks Using Neutron Diffraction
This article describes the use of neutron diffraction to measure residual strains in high-pressure die cast aluminum alloy engine blocks. High-pressure die casting is widely used to manufacture aluminum alloy components for automobile applications such as engine blocks. Thermal gradients during this process can generate residual strain and stresses and may cause premature failure during service. Neutron diffraction can be used to measure the residual stress distributions deep inside large castings, as neutrons have much larger penetrating power than X-rays. In this work, neutron diffraction was used to measure the residual strain (in the axial and hoop directions) in the cylinder bridge region of high-pressure die cast A383 engine blocks in as-cast and heat-treated conditions. The results suggest that the residual strain in the cylinder bridge is tensile in both the axial and hoop components for both as-cast and heat-treated engines. The residual strain in hoop direction is higher than the strain in axial direction. Residual strain in axial and hoop directions is relaxed after heat treatment.
KeywordsResidual stress High pressure die casting Distortion Al-Si-Cu alloys
The authors are very grateful to the Alabama State Department of Commerce (Alabama Innovation Fund) and Nemak Inc. for financial support of this research. This research used resources at the High Flux Isotope Reactor, a DOE Office of Science User Facility operated by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- 4.Patwardhan M, Paranjpe JM, Ramdasi SS, Karanth NV, Marathe NV, Bhat P (2015) Use of non linear analysis in powertrain design for prediction of cylinder bore distortion, design changes for reduction along with experimental validation, SAE Technical PaperGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lombardy A, Sediako D, D’Elia F, Ravindran CR, Mackay RI (2012) Neutron diffraction study on residual stress in aluminum engine blocks following machining and service testing, SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 5(2012-01-0188):115–121Google Scholar
- 9.Wiesner D, Watkins T, Ely T, Spooner S, Hubbard C, Williams J (2005) Residual stress measurements of cast aluminum engine blocks using diffraction. Int Cent Diffr Data Adv X-Ray Anal 48:136–142Google Scholar
- 10.Su X, Jan J, Lasecki J, Allison J (2003) Thermal and residual stress analysis of an engine block with cast-in liners. In: Materials solutions conference 2003, vol. 2003Google Scholar
- 12.Reihle M, Hofmann M, Wasmuth U, Volk W, Hoffmann H, Petry W (2014) In situ strain measurements during casting using neutron diffraction. In: Materials Science Forum 2014, pp 484–491. Trans Tech PublicationsGoogle Scholar