DevOps is Simply Interaction Between Development and Operations
Based on a systematic literature review and interviews with six organizations regarding their use of DevOps, we take a look at a number of differing perspectives on what DevOps entails. We argue for a definition of DevOps as simply being “interaction between development and operations”. This simple definition implies that DevOps is not a new thing which only certain organizations practice, but rather a fundamental characteristic of software and systems engineering that every organization is confronted with and manages to a certain extent.
KeywordsDevOps Development Operations
I would like to thank my master thesis supervisors Maya Daneva and Chintan Amrit, my PhD supervisor Kenji Suzuki, and my current employer Japan’s Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology for their continued support.
- 1.Bass, L., Weber, I., Zhu, L.: DevOps: A Software Architect’s Perspective. Addison-Wesley Professional, Boston (2015). ISBN 978-0-13-404984-7Google Scholar
- 2.Beyer, B., et al.: Site Reliability Engineering. O’Reilly, Sebastopol (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Daniels, R., Davis, J.: Effective DevOps. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.DeMartine, A., Oehrlich, E., Doerr, M.: CALMSS: a model for assessing modern service delivery. Research report, Forrester Research (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Dyck, A., Penners, R., Lichter, H.: Towards definitions for release engineering and DevOps. In: Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Release Engineering, p. 3. IEEE Press (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Humble, J., Farley, D.: Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation, 1st edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Boston (2010). ISBN 0321601912, 9780321601919Google Scholar
- 8.Jabbari, R., et al.: What is DevOps?: A systematic mapping study on definitions and practices. In: Scientific Workshop Proceedings of XP2016, Edinburgh, UK, pp. 12:1–12:11. ACM (2016). https://doi.org/10.1145/2962695.2962707, ISBN 978-1-4503-4134-9
- 9.Loukides, M.: What is DevOps? O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2012). http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/06/what-is-devops.html
- 10.Rackspace: Quantifying DevOps capability: it’s important to keep CALMS, August 2014. https://blog.rackspace.com/quantifying-devops-capability-its-important-to-keep-calms
- 11.Willis, J.: What DevOps means to me, July 2010. https://blog.chef.io/2010/07/16/what-devops-means-to-me/
- 12.XebiaLabs: Whitepaper: introducting continuous delivery in the enterprise (2013). http://go.xebialabs.com/rs/xebialabs/images/WP_ 2013-01-XebiaLabs-Continuous-Delivery.pdf