Crossing the Line: Online Violence
The Internet has a dark side that disproportionately affects women. In this chapter I will look at three forms of online abuse: (1) Posting non-consensual nude photographs or videos, (2) Cyberstalking, and (3) Doxing—publishing private information that could lead to identity theft. The result can be loss of jobs, electronic surveillance, threatened rape or murder, scare tactics and being targeted for unwanted attention. I discuss the sorts of problems—and harms—of each of these and note some of the steps that have been taken to address online violence.
- Alexander, Harriet. 2017. Marines commander appeals for victims of nude photo sharing scandal to come forward, saying: ‘Trust us’. The Telegraph (UK), March 11. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/11/marines-commander-appeals-victims-nude-photo-sharing-scandal/. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Associated Press. 2015. Believed to be first conviction of a revenge porn website operator. KOIN 6, February 2. http://koin.com/2015/02/02/revenge-porn-website-operator-convicted-in-ca/. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Baldor, Lolita C. 2018. Marines investigate 130 for online misconduct after scandal. The Washington Post, May 2. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/marines-investigate-130-for-online-misconduct-after-scandal/2018/05/02/c00bbae4-4e4d-11e8-85c1-9326c4511033_story.html?utm_term=.78ec2ae38578. Accessed 3 May 2018.
- Blessman, Stuart. 2016. Doxing: What to look for. How to prevent it. Officer, June 9. http://www.officer.com/article/12219040/doxing-and-law-enforcement-what-to-look-for-and-prevent. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Buni, Catherine, Chemaly, Soraya. 2014. Unsafety net: How social media turned against women. The Atlantic, October. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/the-unsafety-net-how-social-media-turned-against-women/381261/. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Cauterucci, Christina. 2017. Marines’ secret trove of nonconsensual nude photos is about power, not sex. Slate, March 6. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/03/06/the_marines_secret_trove_of_nonconsensual_nude_photos_is_about_power_not.html. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Cyber Civil Rights Initiative. 2018. 38 States + DC have revenge porn laws. Cyber Civil Rights. https://www.cybercivilrights.org/revenge-porn-laws. Accessed 5 May 2018.
- Delbyck, Cole. 2018. Jennifer Lawrence’s nude photo hacker sentenced to 8 months in prison. Huffington Post, August 30. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b87e9dde4b0cf7b0032b8db Accessed 30 August 2018.
- Duggan, Maeve. 2014. 5 facts about online harassment. Pew research. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/10/30/5-facts-about-online-harassment/. Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Goldberg, C.A. 2018. State revenge porn laws. Goldberg Law. http://www.cagoldberglaw.com/states-with-revenge-porn-laws/. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Liptak, Adam. 2013. Allocating liability for child pornography, in full or fractional shares. The New York Times, December 3. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/us/evaluating-the-liability-of-viewers-of-child-pornography.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Machkovech, Sam, 2015. Doxing victim Zoe Quinn launches online “anti-harassment task force.” Arstechnica, January 19. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/doxing-victim-zoe-quinn-launches-online-anti-harassment-task-force/. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- McLeod, Carolyn. 2015. Trust. In Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy, August 3. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trust. Accessed 20 Jul 2018.
- Ni Aolain, Fionnuala. 2016, June 1. Forced nudity: What international law and practice tell us. Just security. https://www.justsecurity.org/31325/forced-nudity-international-law-practice/. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Paganini, Pierluigi. 2017. Trolling, doxing & cyberstalking: Cybercrime & the law. Security affairs, March 3. http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/56841/laws-and-regulations/trolling-doxing-cyberstalking-cybercrime-law.html. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Pelisek, Christine. 2013. Doxxing: It’s like hacking, but legal. The Daily Beast, March 13. http://www.thedailybeast.com/doxxing-its-ike-hacking-but-legal. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Phillips, Lauren. 2014. Houston woman sues facebook for $123 million. Dallas News, August 21. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2014/08/21/houston-woman-files-123m-lawsuit-alleging-facebook-failed-to-remove-fake-profile-used-for-revenge-porn. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Phillips, Dave. 2017. Inquiry opens into how a network of marines shared illicit images of female peers. The New York Times, March 3. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/us/inquiry-opens-into-how-30000-marines-shared-illicit- images-of-female-peers.html. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Privacy Rights. 2018. Online Harassment & Cyberstalking, privacyrights.org, https://www.privacyrights.org/consumer-guides/online-harassment-cyberstalking Accessed 15 May 2018.Google Scholar
- Pullen, Liz. 2014. Yes, men can be victims of online harassment. But in reality, women have it much worse. The Washington Post, October 28. https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/10/28/yes-men-can-be-victims-of-online-harassment-but-in-reality-women-have-it-much-worse/?utm_term=.7db83d057f2f. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- Quarmby, Katharine. 2014. How the law is standing up to cyberstalking. Newsweek, August 22. https://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/how-law-standing-cyberstalking-264251.html. Accessed 28 July 2017.
- Shahani, Aarti. 2014. Smartphones are used to stalk, control domestic abuse victims. National Public Radio, September 15. http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2014/09/15/346149979/smartphones-are-used-to-stalk-control-domestic-abuse-victims. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.
- The New York Times. 2018. What Europe’s tough new data law means for you, and the internet, May 6. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/06/technology/gdpr-european-privacy-law.html. Accessed 19 May 2018.
- Valentino-DeVries, Jennifer. 2018. Hundreds of apps can empower stalkers to track their victims. The New York Times, May 19 https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/technology/phone-apps-stalking.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news. Accessed 19 May 2018.
- Winkley, Lindsay, and Littlefield, Dana. 2015. Sentence revised for revenge porn site operator. The San Diego Union-Tribune, September 21. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-kevin-bollaert-revenge-porn-case-resentencing-2015sep21-story.html. Accessed 27 Jul 2017.