Effect of Ce Treatment on the Composition of Nucleation Inclusion in Ti–Mg Complex Deoxidized C–Mn Steel
FactSage software and SEM + EDS were introduced to determine the composition of nucleation inclusion in Ce-treated Ti–Mg deoxidized C–Mn steel with Ce content ranging from 0 to 0.036 wt%. The nucleation mechanism of inclusion in tested steels was investigated simultaneously. The experimental results showed that the composition of inclusion in the Ti–Mg complex deoxidized steel changed from MgO + MgAl2O4/MgTi2O4 + MnS to MgO + MgAl2O4/MgTi2O4 + CeAlO3/Ce2O2S + MnS after Ce treatment, while there was no significant change in the content of Ti(C, N). The mass fraction of Ce2O2S was markedly increased with the increase of Ce. The addition of Ce enhanced the probability of nucleation of acicular ferrite on inclusion. The nucleation mechanism of acicular ferrite induced by inclusion containing Ce was manganese-depleted zone (MDZ) based on the line scanning results and the low lattice mismatch between Ce2O2S and ɑ-Fe.
KeywordsCe treatment Composition Nucleation inclusion Ti–Mg complex deoxidized
The authors would like to gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the National Nature Science Foundation of China (No. 51774024).
- 1.Takemura JI, Mizoguchi S (1990) Roles of oxides in steel performance. Paper presented at the proceeding of the 6th international iron and steel congress. ISIJ, Nagoya, 20–22 Mar 1990Google Scholar
- 2.Mizoguchi S, Takamura J (1990) Control of oxides as inoculants. Paper presented at the proceeding of the 6th international iron and steel congress. ISIJ, Nagoya, 20–22 Mar 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang TS, Li YD, Mu HY, Liu CJ, Jiang MF (2017) Influence of Mg/Ti complex addition on evolution and thermodynamics of the inclusion in Al-killed steel. Metall Res Technol 114(3):1–8Google Scholar
- 15.Wang Y, Han YH, Zhu LG, Zhang QJ, Wang SM, Zhang CJ (2017) Effect of microalloy elements V and Mg on organization at high heat input welding shipbuilding structure steel. Paper presented at the 8th international symposium on high-temperature metallurgical processing. San Diego, California, 26 Feb–3 Mar 2017Google Scholar
- 17.Kong H, Lin H, Yue Q, Cai ZY (2017) Effects of Ti–Mg complex inclusions on acicular ferrite nucleation. High Temp Mater Process Lond 36(5):459–465Google Scholar
- 18.Zheng W, Fu XH, Qu Y, Xiong S, Li GQ, Qin QW (2017) Inclusion-induced pitting corrosion behaviors in Al–Mg/Ti–Mg deoxidized steel. J Wuhan Univ Sci Technol 40(2):81–87Google Scholar
- 23.Wen B (2011) Fundamental research on application of cerium and magnesium in oxides metallurgy. Ph.D. thesis. University of Science and Technology, BeijingGoogle Scholar