Creating Resource Combinations Based on Formally Described Hardware Interfaces
This paper introduces the Resource Interface ontology intended to formally capture hardware interface information of production resources. It also proposes an interface matchmaking method, which uses this information to judge if two resources can be physically connected with each other. The matchmaking method works on two levels of detail, coarse and fine. The proposed Resource Interface ontology and matchmaking method can be utilised during production system design or reconfiguration by system integrators or end users. They will benefit from fast and automatic resource searches over large resource catalogues. In the end of the paper, a validation of the method is provided with a test ontology.
KeywordsInterface Resource description Production system reconfiguration System design
This research has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 680759 .
- 5.EUPASS - Evolvable Ultra-Precision Assembly SystemS - project. EU FP6, GA No 507978 (2006). http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/75342_en.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2017
- 7.ReCaM - Rapid reconfiguration of flexible production systems through capability-based adaptation, auto-configuration, integrated tools for production planning - project. EU Horizon 2020, GA No 680759 (2017). http://www.recam-project.eu/. Accessed 30 Oct 2017
- 8.Ameri, F., Urbanovsky, C., McArthur, C.: A systematic approach to developing ontologies for manufacturing service modeling. In: 2012 Proceedings of the Workshop on Ontology and Semantic Web for Manufacturing, 14 p. (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Strzelczak, S.: Towards ontology-aided manufacturing and supply chain management – a literature review. In: Umeda, S., Nakano, M., Mizuyama, H., Hibino, H., Kiritsis, D., von C, G. (eds.) APMS 2015. IAICT, vol. 460, pp. 467–475. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-22759-7_54CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Terkaj, W., Urgo, M.: Virtual factory data model to support performance evaluation of production systems. In: CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 886, pp. 44–58 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Järvenpää, E., Siltala, N., Lanz, M.: Formal resource and capability descriptions supporting rapid reconfiguration of assembly systems. In: 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Assembly and Manufacturing (ISAM), pp. 120–125. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Siltala, N.: Formal digital description of production equipment modules for supporting system design and deployment. Ph.D. dissertation, Tampere University of Technology (2016). http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-15-3783-7