Intuitive User-Centered Interaction Design for ATV
The communication between the human and robot in the social networked industry plays a crucial role. Autonomous robots navigate freely through the warehouses and therefore need to convey their intentions and tasks in an intuitive and understandable manner for its human counterpart. This study examines the icons on the e-Paper display of the ATV EMILI. Tasks of EMILI are the transportation of goods and collaborating with its user by adjusting its height for a safer ergonomic use. The robot communicates its status and intention via its display. The icons transfer task or error messages to its users. The icons have been evaluated in an iterative process consisting of three test phases. Based on the results of the different test phases and the technical restrictions new icons have not been developed until the requirements of the users have been matched. The error icons have been standardized and did not cause any ambiguity in their meaning, whereas the task icons had to be removed and new icons had to be developed.
KeywordsUser-centered design Human-robot-interaction Robotic interfaces
We want to thank the Innovation lab Hybrid Services in Logistics, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and in the Center of Excellence for Logistics and IT funded by Ministry for innovation science and research of NRW, Germany.
- 1.SoftBank Robotics: Who is Pepper? https://www.ald.softbankrobotics.com/en/robots/pepper. Accessed 4 May 2018
- 2.CobotsGuid: Rethink Robotics Baxter. https://cobotsguide.com/2016/06/rethink-robotics-baxter/. Accessed 4 May 2018
- 3.Ten Hompel, M., Schmidt, T., Nagel, L.: Materialflusssysteme Förder- und Lagertechnik, vol. 3. Springer, Heidelberg (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-73236-5
- 4.Verein Deutscher Ingenieure VDI: VDI Norm 2510: Fahrerlose Transportsysteme (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Ulrich, G.: Fahrerlose Transportsysteme. Vieweg + Teubner Verlag (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.BITO-Lagertechnik Bittmann GmbH. LEO Locative Das Fahrerlose Transportsystem für Behälter und Kartonagen. http://www.leo-locative.de. Accessed 26 Sept 2017
- 7.SSI SCHÄFER FRITZ SCHÄFER GMBH. FTS Weasel®. https://www.ssi-schaefer.com/de-de/produkte/foerdern-transportieren/fahrerlose-transportsysteme
- 8.DIN EN ISO 7010: Graphische Symbole–Sicherheitsfarben und Sicherheitszeichen (2013)Google Scholar