Caching on Vehicles: A Lyapunov Based Online Algorithm
With the explosive increase of mobile data and users, data tsunami seriously challenges the mobile operators worldwide. The vehicular caching, which caches mobile data on widely distributed vehicles, is an efficient method to solve this problem. In this paper, we explore the impact of vehicular caching on cellular networks. Specifically, targeting on network performance in energy efficiency, we first formulate a fractional optimization model by considering the network throughput and energy consumption. We then apply nonlinear programming and Lyapunov technology to relax the nonlinear and nonconvex model. Based on analysis, we propose a novel online task decision algorithm. Based on this algorithm, vehicles determine to act either as servers or task schedulers for the requests of users. The burden of cellular MBS (Macro Base Station) then can be alleviated. Extensive simulations are finally conducted and results verify the effectiveness of our proposal.
KeywordsCaching Nonlinear programming Lyapunov optimization
- 1.Index: Global mobile data traffic forecast update. 2016–2021 white paper, Cisco Visual Networking. Accessed 2 May 2017Google Scholar
- 8.Vigneri, L., Pecoraro, S., Spyropoulos, T., Barakat, C.: Per chunk caching for video streaming from a vehicular cloud. In: ACM MobiCom Workshop on Challenged Networks (CHANTS) (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Breslau, L., Cao, P., Fan, L., Phillips, G., Shenker, S.: Web caching and zipf-like distributions: evidence and implications. In: Proceedings IEEE Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, vol. 1, pp. 126–134. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Yang, H., Zheng, K., Zhao, L., Zhang, K., Chatzimisios, P., Teng, Y.: High reliability and low latency for vehicular networks: Challenges and solutions. arXiv preprint arXiv:1712.00537 (2017)
- 11.Vigneri, L., Spyropoulos, T., Barakat, C.: Quality of experience-aware mobile edge caching through a vehicular cloud. In: 20th ACM International Conference on Modelling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, pp. 91–98 (2017)Google Scholar