Corrosion Bending Fatigue of RESOLOY® and WE43 Magnesium Alloy Wires
RESOLOY®, a magnesium resorbable alloy based on Mg–Dy is the focus of this study. Corrosion bending fatigue behavior of RESOLOY wires was investigated with WE43 serving as a reference. Since these wires are developed for absorbable implant applications like stents, clips and anastomotic nails, circulating Ringer solution of 37 °C was used to simulate body conditions. The alloys were first extruded and finally cold-drawn to a wire diameter of 500 µm. Both alloys show very fine grains. The microstructure of WE43 was found homogeneous and equiaxed. RESOLOY shows recrystallized but non-equiaxed grains. RESOLOY is slightly harder than WE43. Both alloys were subjected to strain-controlled fatigue and corrosion fatigue in a sequence which mimicked stent crimping, expansion, and in-vessel cycling. Fatigue life was strongly influenced by corrosion. Fatigue data for RESOLOY highlight the need for further wire processing optimization work that is currently underway.
KeywordsMagnesium RESOLOY WE43 Corrosion Bending fatigue Corrosion fatigue
The authors acknowledge the support from Hartmut Habeck (UASS) for the corrosion experiments.
- 1.Biotronik AG, www.biotronik.com/de-de/products/coronary/magmaris.
- 2.Y.F. Zheng, X.N. Gu and F. Witte, Mat. Sci. Eng. R, 77, 1 (2014).Google Scholar
- 3.L. Choudhary, R.K. Singh Raman, J. Hofstetter and P.J. Uggowitzer, Mater. Sci. Eng. C 42, 629–636 (2014).Google Scholar
- 4.Magnesium Elektron UK, data sheet 467.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Tolnai, C.L. Mendis, A. Stark, G. Szakács, B. Wiese, K.U. Kainer and N. Hort, Mater. Lett., 102–103, 62 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.B. Smola, I. Stulı́ková, F. von Buch and B.L. Mordike, Mat. Sci. Eng. A, 324, 113 (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.L.L. Rokhlin, T.V. Dobatkina, N.I. Nikitina and I.E. Tarytina, Met. Sci. Heat Treat., 52, 588 (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.Y.H. Kang, D. Wu, R.S. Chen and E.H. Han, J. Magnesium Alloys 2, 109 (2014).Google Scholar
- 9.US patents: 9,566,367 B2 & 9,522,219 B2, EU patents: 2744531 & 2744532.Google Scholar
- 10.Meko Laser Materials Processing, www.meko.de/RESOLOY.
- 11.A.J. Griebel, J.E. Schaffer, T.M. Hopkins, A. Alghalayini, T. Mkorombindo, K.O. Ojo, Z. Xu, K.J. Little and S.K. Pixley, J Biomed. Mater. Research—Part B Applied Biomaterials, 106, 5, 1987–1997 (2018).Google Scholar
- 12.Fort Wayne Metals, www.fwmetals.com/RESOLOY-a-magnesium-alloy-for-absorbable-devices.
- 13.D. Li, J. Dong, X. Zeng, C. Lu and W. Ding, J Alloys and Compounds 439, 1–2, 254-257 (2007).Google Scholar
- 14.D. Tolnai, P. Staron, A. Staeck, H. Eckerlebe, N. Schel, M. Müller, J. Gröbner and N. Hort, Magnesium Technology, 17–21 (2016).Google Scholar
- 15.A Steinacker, CL Mendis, M Mohedano, F Feyerabend, M Stekker, P Maier, KU Kainer, N Hort, Cells and Materials 32, 6, 22 (2016).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Maier, G. Szakács, M. Wala and N. Hort, Magnesium Technology, 393–398 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.P. Maier, J. Gonzalez, R. Peters, F. Feyerabend, T. Ebel and N. Hort, European Cells and Materials 32, 6, 22 (2016).Google Scholar
- 18.P. Maier, F. Zimmermann, M. Rinne, G. Szakács, N. Hort and C. Vogt, Corrosion and Materials 69, 2, 178–190 (2018).Google Scholar
- 19.A.J. Griebel and J.E Schaffer, Magnesium Technology, 303–307 (2015).Google Scholar
- 20.L. Choudhary and R.K. Singh Raman, Acta Biomater. 8, 916–923 (2012).Google Scholar
- 21.V. Kree, J. Bohlen, D. Letzig and K.U. Kainer, Practical Metallography 41, 5, 233–246 (2004).Google Scholar
- 22.P. Maier, L. Gentsch and N. Hort, Magnesium Technology, 429–437 (2017).Google Scholar