Homogeneous Grain Refinement and Ductility Enhancement in AZ31B Magnesium Alloy Using Friction Stir Processing
Low ductility in magnesium (Mg) alloy hinders its application in material forming industries. Hence, it is indeed of the material processing technique to modify the microstructure of Mg alloy for increasing ductility. Present work aims to refine the grain size of thick AZ31B Mg alloy using friction stir processing (FSP) technique. A low heat input stationary shoulder tooling system is used for processing heat sensitive Mg alloy, exhibiting small temperature gradient across the thickness of processed material. This low heat input and small temperature gradient contributed to uniform grain refinement across the thickness due to dynamic recrystallization. Significant reduction in grain size achieved after FSP, which helped to enhance the elongation of FSP samples (top, middle, and bottom) in comparison with the unprocessed material. Furthermore, uniform and homogenous grain size and elongation obtained across the thickness of processed material, which was attributed to the stationary shoulder tooling system.
KeywordsAZ31B Ductility Friction stir processing Grain refinement Magnesium Stationary shoulder
The authors would like to thank the financial support from the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2016YFB1100104). We also want to acknowledge the editorial committee, organizer (s) of Magnesium Technology 2019, and TMS for recognizing our research work.
- 1.Thomas W, Nicholas E, Needham J, Murch M, Templesmith P, Dawes C (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Ma ZY, Feng AH, Chen DL, Shen J (2018) Recent Advances in Friction Stir Welding/Processing of Aluminum Alloys: Microstructural Evolution and Mechanical Properties. Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences 43 (4):269–333. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408436.2017.1358145CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Patel VV, Li WY, Vairis A, Badheka VJ (2018) Recent Development in Friction Stir Processing as a Solid-State Grain Refinement Technique: Microstructural Evolution and Property Enhancement. Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences. In Press.Google Scholar
- 8.Patel VV, Badheka V, Kumar A (2016) Friction Stir Processing as a Novel Technique to Achieve Superplasticity in Aluminum Alloys: Process Variables, Variants, and Applications. Metallography, Microstructure, and Analysis 5 (4):278–293Google Scholar
- 9.Rathee S, Maheshwari S, Siddiquee AN, Srivastava M (2018) A Review of Recent Progress in Solid State Fabrication of Composites and Functionally Graded Systems Via Friction Stir Processing. Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences 43 (4):334–366. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408436.2017.1358146CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yang K, Li WY, Niu PL, Yang XW, Xu YX (2018) Cold sprayed AA2024/Al2O3 metal matrix composites improved by friction stir processing: Microstructure characterization, mechanical performance and strengthening mechanisms. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 736:115–123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.11.132CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Patel VV, Badheka VJ, Zala SR, Patel SR, Patel UD, Patel SN Effects of Various Cooling Techniques on Grain Refinement of Aluminum 7075-T651 During Friction Stir Processing. In: ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2016. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp V014T011A015-V014T011A015Google Scholar
- 15.Alavi Nia A, Omidvar H, Nourbakhsh SH (2014) Effects of an overlapping multi-pass friction stir process and rapid cooling on the mechanical properties and microstructure of AZ31 magnesium alloy. Materials & Design 58 (Supplement C):298–304. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.01.069CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Barbini A, Carstensen J, dos Santos JF (2018) Influence of a non-rotating shoulder on heat generation, microstructure and mechanical properties of dissimilar AA2024/AA7050 FSW joints. Journal of Materials Science & Technology 34 (1):119–127. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2017.10.017CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Patel VV, Badheka V, Kumar A (2017) Effect of polygonal pin profiles on friction stir processed superplasticity of AA7075 alloy. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 240:68–76. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2016.09.009CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Patel VV, Badheka VJ, Kumar A (2016) Cavitation in Friction Stir Processing of Al-Zn-Mg-Cu Alloy. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research 5 (4):317–321. https://doi.org/10.18178/ijmerr.5.4.317-321