Senior2Local: A Machine Learning Based Intrusion Detection Method for VANETs
Vehicular Ad-hoc Network (VANET) is a heterogeneous network of resource-constrained nodes such as smart vehicles and Road Side Units (RSUs) communicating in a high mobility environment. Concerning the potentially malicious misbehaves in VANETs, real-time and robust intrusion detection methods are required. In this paper, we present a novel Machine Learning (ML) based intrusion detection methods to automatically detect intruders globally and locally in VANETs. Compared to previous Intrusion Detection methods, our method is more robust to the environmental changes that are typical in VANETs, especially when intruders overtake senior units like RSUs and Cluster Heads (CHs). The experimental results show that our approach can outperform previous work significantly when vulnerable RSUs exist.
KeywordsML Intrusion detection VANETs RSUs Game theory
This work is supported by China NSFC 61836005 and 61672358; China NSFC 61728303 and the Open Research Project of the State Key Laboratory of Industrial Control Technology, Zhejiang University, China (ICT1800417).
- 1.Alheeti, K.M.A., Gruebler, A., McDonald-Maier, K.D.: An intrusion detection system against black hole attacks on the communication network of self-driving cars. In: 2015 Sixth International Conference on Emerging Security Technologies (EST), pp. 86–91. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Chim, T.W., Yiu, S., Hui, L.C., Li, V.O.: Security and privacy issues for inter-vehicle communications in vanets. In: 6th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks Workshops, 2009, SECON Workshops 2009, pp. 1–3. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, W., Joshi, A., Finin, T.: SVM-case: an SVM-based context aware security framework for vehicular ad-hoc networks. In: 2015 IEEE 82nd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Marti, S., Giuli, T.J., Lai, K., Baker, M.: Mitigating routing misbehavior in mobile adhoc networks. In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobilecomputing and Networking, pp. 255–265. ACM (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Qian, Y., Moayeri, N.: Design of secure and application-oriented VANETs. In: 2008 IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC Spring 2008, pp. 2794–2799. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Sharma, S., Kaul, A.: A survey on intrusion detection systems and honeypot based proactive security mechanisms in VANETs and VANET cloud. Vehic. Commun. (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.Zeng, X., Bagrodia, R., Gerla, M.: GloMoSim: a library for parallel simulation of large-scale wireless networks. In: ACM SIGSIM Simulation Digest, vol. 28, pp. 154–161. IEEE Computer Society (1998)Google Scholar